Calling all mk5 GTi Owners - Little advice needed

Discussion in 'Mk5' started by adamferrand, Sep 28, 2007.

1. adamferrand New Member

Hello,

I am seriously considering the purchase of a mk 5 GTi Golf (FSI-T) but have some issues over the fuel economy.

At this point I need some advice from real owners that are actually running the vehicle on a daily basis and not just "salespeople" at dealerships. Who state it is very economical due to the FSi technology.

I have a daily commute (Round trip) of 100 miles (Canterbury to Swanley - Kent) - The trip I would estimate is 98% Motorway and 60mph Dual Carriageways.

I appreciate this is 26k per year and that really I should be driving a diesel (like I am at the moment) but I am sick and tired of driving a car for "economy" reasons and lust after some hot metal - Like the GTi

What would you owners budget in terms of a weekly petrol allowance based on experience (I was thinking circa 60 per week - 12 per day) - I do intend to drive sensible and not be flat out on the turbo all the time.

I look forward to some practical honest advice.

Regards,

Adam Ferrand

2. Dan Gliballs Forum Member

My sister's had one for a couple of years now.

Great car, and no more thirsty than the Rav4 she had before it apparently.

Compared to my Audi, the GTi's consumption is positively derv-like LOL!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Cabby Dave Forum Member

I like em but would get a Focus ST over it. Same insurance group but worse MPG though.

4. Dan Gliballs Forum Member

Aye, both great cars.

5. adamferrand New Member

Dan - How ironic you come from Horsham.....The supplying dealer if I actually purchased the said vehicle would be Sidlow of Horsham.

Cabby Dave - I cant see how anyone could run an ST focus - 2.5 5 pot turbo - Thats got to hurt at the pumps. (And of course I am not 19 with a baseball cap so its 100% out of the question lol)

Any further comments please from owners regarding real life consumption figures

6. adamferrand New Member

ANy more owners able to comment?

7. Seraph Banned

Radio2 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?

8. Dan Gliballs Forum Member

Yep, the only station I listen to.

9. micky1 Forum Member

if your worried about mpg then get a tdi no question about it.Mine does 32mpg on m ways etc but you'd be better off in a gttdi that does 50+mpg and looks nearly the same.
    Dsg's a good option and in th tdi aswell

10. Seraph Banned

I can't really talk - I listen to Radio3[:[]

11. gillm

gillm ***** User

mine very rarly sees anything above 30 mpg and is normaly sitting around 26mpg but in fairness it is mapped and i do drive it like it's ment to but on motorways 32 can be had . great cars tho , i have had mine for 2 years and the only thing i would replace it with is another

12. Dan Gliballs Forum Member

Yeah, at least one can actually LEARN something about the world on Radio 2/3/4, unlike the mindless drivel and 5 repeated songs that are pumped out on Radio 1 etc.

13. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

not got one, but have sat in many, never seen showing more the low 30's MPG on the MFD

14. perryqhill Forum Member

On a different note - some woman was trying to having a bit of play with me in a mk5 today.

She approached me very quickly, then couldn't keep up from a standing start from a junction. Then when I slowed down when behind a truck she caught up quickly (by now I was realising she was trying, but didn't think she was putting herself out at all - though nor really was I).

Then when overtaking up a dual carridge way on a hill she went for it too - but obviously not as much as I did (or maybe she did - who knows?).

So really no idea what it was - black mk5, looked a touch like a GTi, but obviously not one. On the grille I think it had something like 'GT D' - there seemed to be a space there whatever it was.

Anyway that isn't my point - afterwards I looked on Parkers to see what sort of figures the new Golf diesels put out and to my amazement I see:

I look a bit more and see they are petrol 1400's with a supercharger and a turbo on!

Now excuse me for being new and ignorant, but I want one already [:D]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2007
  15. perryqhill Forum Member

Oh and mines a 89 16v GTi by the way, not even sure it's running that well top end as it seems a bit slower than my old Cav SRi - though not really the point.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2007
  16. Jonny777 Forum Member

I drove a VW Eos 2.0T for a day. (Well, one afternoon/evening and a morning.)
    When i gave it some, im talking all the way to red line, it got about 25mpg.
    When i was on 60/70 limit roads in 6th i managed to entice about 34mpg out of it.

I really rate that engine, sounded fantastic and revved hard. Went like stink as well.

Its just whether you can resist not flooring it all the time. :lol: Which i dont think i could!

17. adamferrand New Member

Hmmm its a tough one tbh - I can just about live with consumption figures around the 30 mark.

As for the diesel angle - I am a civil engineer and I have spent all my life with diesels (L200 Warrior & now Nissan X-Trail) and to be honest I am just sick of driving Diesel - its my time for a petrol TBH.

18. isr303 New Member

I haven't done the "math" but around town, to work and back etc. I get about 200-220 miles out of a tank of BP Ultimate.
    On the motorway it will get from London to the Lake District (Keswick) using only 3/4 of a tank.

19. prof Forum Addict

TDi all the way with that kind of distance 60+mpg if you take it steady, my mate does sheffield to loughborough & back everyday, and swears by his TDi

20. adamferrand New Member

ISR303 - London to Keswick I am assuming is around 300miles for you?

Approximately 55 to fill the tank? Therefore (According to my math) somewhere in the region of 13.75 per 100miles.

68.75 per week - Following some research at dealers, more test drives etc this seems to be fairly accurate.

Ladies and Gentleman that is good news! Now time to negotiate a more "keen" PX price on my X-Trail.

As a lad I had a tornado red mk2 gti 8v - I can see the glory days returning!