Calling EZPete lol!

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by Hawkesybaby, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Hawkesybaby Forum Member

Car now dead again...........!!!!

Doesn tick over at all, and when it does start the revs are really jumpy and it just cuts out as soon as i take foot of the throttle! Think its the pooberg????? Any ideas guys?

Check this for what ive done to remedy...

http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156965&page=2

Please Help!!!!????

Dan [:o)]

2. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

ht lead come lose? either off the dizzy or the spark plugs, happened to me yesturday.

3. MK1jettaGTi

MK1jettaGTi Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

I just posted on your other thread, might be something usefull for you there.

4. Jamie_pyrite Forum Member

Having the same problem as you mate! Thought it was down to the rubber carb flange being perished but it just doesn't start now! Taken the spark plugs out and rubbed them down along with the dizzy and no luck.. So we're going to check the spark plugs to see if they're.. sparking really!

Also, I've been told to replace the "condensator" ? It's a part to do with the rotar (arm?)

As you can see, I know nothing about engines. Goes in one ear, out the other but I try to regurgitate what I've been told :)

5. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

What engine are we talking about? Looking at the pic of the carb (2E3) on the other thread I'm guessing 1.3?

Edit: but the pics on page 1 of the engine bay look more like a 1.6/1.8 [:s] [:s]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2008
  6. Hawkesybaby Forum Member

Its a 1.8 mate think a 2E2???

I have changed leads dizzy rotor arm and "condenser"! All plugs are sparking properly and no leads are loose and none of them are detaching??? Im rather puzzled about it peeps?

7. Hawkesybaby Forum Member

MK1JettaGTI thats summat i have done with wd40 and also got a stephoscope in there around pipes and gaskets and alike.... But if it is an air leak or summat it wouldnt go away then come back again after a while im sure?

8. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

I'm sure that's a 2E3 carb, which according to my Pierburg manual, was never fitted to a 1.8 (or 1.6) Golf [:s]

Still, if it was working before it may work again. Idle jet blocked with loosened debris following your cleaning? Did you open the carb up, or just clean the outsides?

Actually it does sound more like an ignition fault TBH.

9. Hawkesybaby Forum Member

Would possibly being not a 1.8 carb make it do that the EZ pete?

It has done this twice mate, working then not working! In what way could it be ignition then dude maybe the coil or summat??? If it was doing it before i cleaned and loosened the debris then dunno lol!

10. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Coil's one possibility, or the TCI unit that drives it (under driver's-side scuttle cover), or rotor arm/dizzy cap/leads/plugs. Dunno what you've changed.

What do you know about the history of the car? I would think that if the carb's come off a 1.3 engine, the jets will be way wrong and you could be over/underfuelling horribly. Has it run OK at some times since you got it?

Sorry I can't be more encouraging [:$]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2008
  11. Hawkesybaby Forum Member

Ive changed-

Leads
    Dizzy
    Rotor arm
    plugs are good

I know nearly nothing sbout the car but will have to have a look see and ask round?

The car ran nicely for about a month then done it, then "fixed" for bout 2 weeks then "fixed" for about a week then lastnight it done it?

12. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

i used to have a fiat wich did this, at some point in its life some wierd silicon stuff was put in the engine somewere, after so many miles little bits broke off and got stuck in the jet, most of the time it would clear on its own sometimes it would need stripping and blowing the jets out with a airline, was a nightmeare so I gave up on the car :lol:

13. Hawkesybaby Forum Member

Still no luck today stripped and cleaned again!!!! Gonna try again tomora if im not chewing my own face off!

14. Hawkesybaby Forum Member

The car now runs.... i done nothing to it and it started on the button first time and runs beautifully.....?

I dont get it lol!

15. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

:lol: :clap:

Gotta wonder if it is something intermittent in the electrical/ignition department, like a dirty/bad contact. If nothing else, I would be tempted to take off and clean the connections to the coil (make a note where they go before you disconnect anything, or do them one wire at a time). Also check the connector that goes onto the TCI unit for water-related corrosion, although it is meant to be a sealed connector.

Chances are, if you don't get to the bottom of why this was happening, it will happen again.

You may also seriously look into getting a Weber :lol: , though I never thought I'd hear myself saying it! That carb you have isn't likely to do the engine any favours, I think.

You could get a refurbished Pierburg 2E2 (there's an E-bay seller doing them) but they ain't that cheap, I think about 185 for one to suit a 1.8, but don't take my word for that, look it up.

Did you have any luck finding out when/why that carb was fitted? It's possible that it was done by someone who knew what they were doing, but I'm surprised to see a 2E3 on a 1.8 TBH. Maybe someone else has seen this done before? [:s]

16. Hawkesybaby Forum Member

I am by no means defying your obvious outstanding knowledge mate but are you sure its a 2E3? If i get more pics up on here you reckon youll be able to give me a clearer definition?

17. Jamie_pyrite Forum Member

Why won't mine do this! :( It's in the garage now though..

Refurbed pierburgs are 145 from Ebay

18. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

No probs, defy away :lol: More pics can only be good, but...

If you look at this exploded view of a 2E2:

[​IMG]

Then try to find anything on your carb that look like items 40 and 41 (3/4 point unit, waxstat). Although the 2E3 is based on the same castings as the 2E2, lots of the bolt-on bits are different.

Jamie: Sorry to hear you've not solved yours yet, hope the garage can find something out.

19. Hawkesybaby Forum Member

The only carbs that ive worked on are ones of beetles and buses so solex and a couple of early pierbergs so im no expert on the 2E2's! Ill get some pics on tomora if ive got the time and see what the crack is lol!

20. Hawkesybaby Forum Member

Heres the pics of the carb for you EZPete!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What you reckon?