camber adjustment!

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by FABVR6, Dec 2, 2003.

1. FABVR6 Forum Member

Hi peeps!

i hit a curb the other nite whilst driving while tired!! ( Never again)

anyway the wheel i hit is bent slightly out than all the others and national tyre center said its not the tracking thats out its the camber setting :( they cant do it cus they havnt got the computer to measure it but nothing is bent from what he could see!

does anyone know anywhere i can get this sorted at a decent price ?? the car drives ok and dosnt really pull to one side and dosnt vibrate or anything.

thanks for any help!

2. AndrewF Forum Addict

you don't mention where you are located? there feltham tyres (funnily enough in feltham!) who are supposed to be the best, they charge 50.

you could always adjust both wheels to run full camber (so you can assure they are the same) if you're running o.e. shocks. this is how i have it set up.

3. FABVR6 Forum Member

if i do that will it kill my tyres?

if i leave it how it is will it kill them? it dosnt pull to one side so me thinks it should be ok but ive been wrong lol

and also if i leave it will the handling be affected?

4. AndrewF Forum Addict

well...i never have any wear probs. think its tracking that kills tyres more. makes the car more pointy if you add camber (which IMO is a good thing indeed), and you don't have to turn the wheel as much [:D] to corner.

if you have uprated shocks they usually allow more adjustment, so then it needs to be done properly. but on standard the max you can get is like 2 degrees (according to GVK), which is what he sets his uprated ones at i think. then have 0 dergrees toe in/toe out (tracking) and it's the best for performance driving.

but it should be noted that what i like you may not!

5. AndrewF Forum Addict

just to add though...if anythings bent it'll still be wrong, which IMO wouldn't be a surprise if you took a big hit.

6. FABVR6 Forum Member

im lost lol so how would i go about running full camber?? is it a simple 5 min job or a strut off job?
    i dont really mind how it drives as long as it wont wear my tyres!!! and will handle as it should!

thanks for ur replys

7. Tanner Forum Member

when I lowered my car, I had the tracking done but not camber (cos the place I went didn't do it).

3 months later the inside of both my tyres was fecked. Had camber setup and new tyres and it has been fine for years. Turn in is a lot sharper too. Mind you the mechanic said that on my car the camber was completely fecked...

moral?

get the camber done!
    :)

8. KeithMac Forum Junkie

To run full camber you slacken the 2 bottom bolts and tilt the hub into the strut as fas as it will go (pull the bottom of the disk and push the top) then tighten the strut bolts up again, I get 1.5 degrees negative both sides with this, you`ll have to set the tracking to zero toe though.

Your best bet is to get the camber and tracking set to factory though, some tyre places have laser alignment and can do this for you, if they can`t set it back to standard somethings bent!

You don`t wan to run different camber on both sides, plus when the cambers been knocked out it will have changed the tracking anyway which will wear the tyres out.

If you aren`t sure of what you`re doing I`d let a professional sort it out.

edited for spelling, probably still as bad!
    Edited by: KeithMac

9. AndrewF Forum Addict

i eat the outside edges if i run factory camber!!!

10. jc.. Forum Member

Some golf struts have no play in them so camber is fixed. you can buy a thinner machined top hub/strut bolt to allow some adjustment.

Too much camber wears you inner tread doesn't it..not sure what too much camber is though!

11. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

I also kill tyres with standard camber.

12. prof Forum Addict

nooooooooo the tolerances on it all are miles out if you try and set up full camber it'll be different both sides honestly, mine was 1.5 neg one side and -3 the other.

get it done properly and pay 45 ish

13. AndrewF Forum Addict

yeah...but i do it on the road!! ;)

14. AndrewF Forum Addict

i know theoretically it may be, but my car seems spot on with it like that!

15. KeithMac Forum Junkie

I had mine checked on the alignment (while they were doing the tracking) and with the konis it was spot on each side (which was nice [:D]).

Obviously you get it checked after you`ve moved hubs, it`s just nice to know if I take a hub off I get the camber spot on again without needing the alignment done (as thet are set at full neg in relation to the strut and this has been shown to be accurate).

If it has a big knock it may not be the case!

16. AndrewF Forum Addict

don't koni shocks allow a greater amount of camber than o.e. ones?

17. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Possible, Ive got coilovers and there`s a bit of movement with the strut bolts loose..

18. smithy Forum Member

Yeah, I had mine on full negative as well on both sides but it was bad for bump steer - due to have too much toe in I think, as the toe in increases as you give it more camber.

19. prof Forum Addict

you can use the smaller, early bolts which give a bit more adjustment