Camera recommendation?

Discussion in 'Photography - general' started by adi3390, Sep 2, 2012.

1. adi3390 New Member

Job situation has changed fortunately, so some new photos will be going up on my thread soon!

Not really the right area, but have just been checking out the photography thread(s). Is there a camera you can reccomend for a good hd pic ?, but not be so expencive I want to cry lol

2. stella

stella Forum Junkie

Not sure what you mean - hd pic. Please say more precisely. Also, if you give your budget and maybe an idea of your skill level - beginner/intermediate/advanced - and if you want a digital SLR or a point-and-shoot. And whether you want new or second-hand.

As a general all-rounder, I can recommend this Canon Powershot S95. When this came out, it was nearly 400, but since it's been superseded by the S100, the price has dropped to half. It's a top of the range point-and-shoot with a good lens, handles low light well and you can use it in manual or semi-manual mode and most importantly, you can take RAW pictures with it.

I've had mine for nearly two years and it goes everywhere with me. I use it nearly everyday and it fits nicely in my pocket when I can't be bothered to lug around my big Nikon and its collection of lenses.

If you don't want anything that fancy, almost any of the Canon Ixus range will be good and affordable.

(I can't believe I'm promoting Canon, when all my serious kit is Nikon! :o )

3. adi3390 New Member

All I mean by hd, is a nice crisp picture really. SLR always had an appeal to me, and not bothered about it being brand new, specially for a first foray into cameras.

I want to document my car resto and some other things I've got going on more than anything.

Budget up to 300-400 ish, as for skill level, it would definitely be begginer, had a go of a few large Nikon's before as I used to live with some graphic designers, but I got intimidated by all the buttons and dials lol

Ill check out the Canon's you mentioned.

Cheers,
    Adam.

4. stella

stella Forum Junkie

If you're looking at Nikons, you should get something decent second-hand in that budget. My previous DSLR was a D70 and an excellent camera. Or you may get a more recent model in that price range.

Word of warning, for one who knows - get yourself a decent compact like the S95 or Ixus and you'll be fine for pics of your restoration.

But go down the DSLR route, then you'll want lenses - not cheap - and then a flash gun, tripod, lights, and all the other toys. Suddenly your photography hobby becomes as expensive as your VW hobby ..... Mine certainly did.

If you're going to Curborough on Sunday - very highly recommended for a great day out - I can bring you photography magazines that will teach you a lot about taking pictures and how to post-process them in PhotoShop or other editors.

There aresome really good photographers on the forum, so always lots of advice available for whatever level you're at. Almost as good as the VW tech help lol

5. WEZ

Wez Official Friday thread starter

With that budget, a D90, it's a classic.
    You'll probably get one with the kit 18-55 lens for that money, but if a 18-105 kit pops up on eBay in your budget, snap it up, 3 just went outside my budget so I've just bought something completely different.
    Pics soon when it arrives...

6. WEZ

Also, go check out your local London camera exchange. Just been to mine and prices were roughly same as eBay, my camera was there for same price I paid.
    This should also give you a chance to have a play about and see what's right for you

7. stella

stella Forum Junkie

Any of that range should do you proud - and I agree with Wez - if you can get to play with one before you buy, so much the better.

Can hardly wait to see what you've bought, Wez - when will you get it?

8. WEZ

Should be arriving in the next couple of days, was an eBay bargain.
    This is my first dslr,been nicking my mates d90 for the past couple of years as my fz28, although great, just doesn't compare to a dale.
    Shock horror though, tis neither Nikon or canon, I was searching for a D90 but after extensive research I felt this camera was almost just as good, but at 250 used with a lens, was much better value.

Trying to do everything for under 600 and so far it looks like ill manage it. Already got 2 lenses ordered with a possible 3rd, a stealthy lowepro bag, a tripod, 2 spare batteries and memory cards. That's all I need as I don't shoot anything specific, mainly landscapes and buildings.

9. stella

stella Forum Junkie

Sounds intriguing - and you've got a lot of kit for your cash at 600.

Will be looking forward to lots of good photographs from you, then, shall we? lol

10. antinkariba

antinkariba Forum Member

There is a place on line that I have bought a few bits off of over the last few months http://marketplace.theprintspace.co.uk/MarketPlace
    They have a whole load of second hand gear on there and its reasonably priced. Might be worth having a look at.

11. WEZ

actually arrived today whilst I was at work, here's a quick snap of it next to the fz:

[​IMG]

and this is the reason why you shouldn't buy blind like me! lol
    I was expecting something a bit more sizable, the D90 must be 1/3rd bigger, which at first bugged me, but you get used to the weight and size, this isn't that much bigger than my bridge! will take some getting used to.

Stella - the lenses are 2nd hand, no need to buy brand new, got a 50mm f2 prime for 15, a fisheye for 150, the kit lens and a 28-105 which is currently at a tenner..

12. WEZ

no lol

my first shot with it today:

[​IMG]

lol lol

also took a nice shot of my dad today, but that's not going on the internet....

13. WEZ

got another 10 minutes free:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]