campaign models

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by challice, Sep 3, 2009.

1. challice Forum Member

im 95% pos that mine is a campaign model its a 1988 poss 89 F mk2 golf gti 8v plus 3dr in oak green an had small bumpers with the red stripe...

is there any way i can conferm that it is via the vin number? i no it was built in wolfsburg from the vin number an the 1st dealership stamp is wolfsburg...

any info would help

cheers:thumbup:

2. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

Campaign was Mk1 only if I'm not mistaken, a trim level of the Mk1 GTi.

All our VWs from that time were Wolfsburg (your VIN should start with WVW). What you have is an Oak Green GTi that's got the correct parts for it's year.

3. challice Forum Member

im sure campaign was mk2 as well...

4. faithless

faithless CGTI Regional Host

they did do a mk2 campaign, they came in oak green, met. black and helious blue 87 - 88
    and rainbow interiors and Le Castellete (sp?) 14" alloys.

5. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

People refer to them as Campaigns, but they are really 1 in a Million Edition Golfs, to celebrate the millionth Golf off the production line.

Your car would have had Rainbow interior, leather steering wheel, and half tinted rear lights, as well as 14" Le Castellet alloys as standard.

6. challice Forum Member

ah the mistery continues haha cheers for the info...:thumbup:

7. smp1987 Forum Member

I also have a campaign model 1988 gti metallic black 3 door with rainbow seats it says in my log book
    golf gti mkII special and on my log book cover says a golf in 10 million
    were they just a special edition when vw had sold 10million golfs?

8. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Yes. Not like the 20th Anni, 25th Anni or Edition 30.

9. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

I'm almost certain that oak green wasnt available on 'normal' golfs pre 90 spec. So if you have an original oak green with small bumpers it must be the special 'one in a 10 million golfs'

10. paul_c Forum Member

Lets not forget what "Campaign" is short for.....

11. challice Forum Member

its on origanal oak green paint from factory an thats the paint code an came with small bumpers....an its an 88 or 89 cant work it out from the vin as yet...

12. cometbluecoupe Forum Member

That is spot on. The term "Campaign" was used by enthusists of the last of the line mk1 and just stands for "special sales campaign" (ie VW trying to shift the last of the line mk1's before the introduction of the mk2) Its not an official VW model name although was apparently used in some of thier internal literature but never external press or advertising as far as i know. The mk1 campaign was actually the 'Extra Special Golf GTI' - not as catchy i guess.

D

13. challice Forum Member

ah cool cool...

14. bones

bones Paid Member Paid Member

ive just bought an 88 black mk2 with a rainbow interior for the missus. I know it could have been modified in the past, but is it also possible that its one of these Million cars?? Is there anyway to tell with the vin number etc??

15. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the rainbow interior is a hint, but it may not be the original. any pics of the seats, pre/post 90 seats are subtly different. you also got a special log book with rainbow stripes on and 1 in 10 million on the front

16. bones

the log book is another thing. it looks like a replacement log book as the stickers and address details are missing from this one and the service history starts at 48k with gaps before. Ill get some pics at the weekend. How subtle are the differences?
    ta jonny

17. daveangel Forum Member

I used to have one in Helious Blue. It was a special to mark the 10millionth golf as it said on my instruction manual " A Golf in 10 million". My dad bought it new when he was serving in Germany, Right hand drive UK spec but his had the "Special" stickers on the rear pillars like the European 10 millionth specials had. Seats were Rainbow, small bumpers with red stripe, side trim with red stripe.It was a late 88 when we came back to the uk it was given an "E" registration, and it had the one piece door windows. I had it off him in 1998 and stupidly at the time converted it to big bumpers and had 17 inch oz super turismos fitted wish i still had it.

18. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

19. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

just slightly different shape to the bolsters, on the 90spec the base sticky out bit is further forward and larger, backrest isn't much different.

the differet boulster means you can sit sideways in the seat comfortably, and the backrest folds much further forward than the pre-90.

20. bones

ta everyone!
    ok cool. Ill dig out some more details when i collect it on sunday.