Can i ditch the digi afm?

Discussion in 'Engines' started by drunkenalan, Mar 23, 2007.

1. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

as the title says really or has any body ever made it work mechanically and taken it out of the air stream?

a post on moving mk3 throttles to the fron has got me thinking and i was wondering if it easy to ditch the afm or get it working mechanically. so i could move the throttle or fit two, facing towards the front of the car and make the afm work mechanically.

2. Golden Forum Junkie

From the way you've asked this question, the answer is way out of your technical abilities.

3. siheinz Forum Member

the ecu needs the info from the afm, to get rid of it you will need to use a aftermarket engine managment system somthing like the webber alpha kit

4. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

golden, i have spent enough time on forums to know that if you ask a question in simple english, you will get a simle english answer. What would make you think that it is out of my technical abilities. I spend my time at work working on nuclear fuel route enhancements. I spent the last 8 months completely rewiring the audi after a complete bare metal rebuild. I apologise if the question is wordy enough but as you didnt offer a reply why start being like that!!!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2007
  5. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

anyone that is prepred to offer a suggestion plz feel free. i have been thinking about it today and was thinking that the best route maybe to modifiy an inlet manifold to take two throttle bodies facing towrds the front and use a single afm with a Y piece to feed the throttles.

6. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

what will removing it achieve?

7. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

it would shorten the distance thet the air travels, reduce any resistance that it creates for hopefully a bit more go!

8. siheinz Forum Member

you talking about removing the throttle body from the inlet manifold and mounting it at the front of the car? then running a pipe from the back of the TB to the inlet manifold?
    surely the inlet length will still be the same

9. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

No you cannot as digifant II is a airflow based system and would require a voltages (0-5v) from an air measuring device to calculate injection duration. Some years ago Flimstar converted one of these to a MAF which gained a few more lbft in the rev range.
    I am converting a digi car now to a speed density system (Megasquirt is map sensor based) and I expect more air flow into the motor as the vane AFM is a restriction in te air path. Power before was 120bhp@5200revs and 125lbft at 3800revs on an 2.0 3A with 2E inlet and ABF TB. We will see how it does compare after the EMS is fitted and calibrated.

10. abf"d mk1 Paid Member Paid Member

could you not fit a throttle position sensor on the throttle body.

11. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

I think ill leave the mechanical operation alone as i have had the cover of watching the way the flap moves. looks like it needs to be able to 'float' a little rather than fixed movements like a throttle.

I was thinkin about not putting the throttle at the front of the car but cutting the plenum of the inlet manifold to fit the throttle (x2) facing towards the front. so that the air has a straight route to inlet tracts, and doesnt have to turn 90 degrees. i would leave the afm in the system but pipe it to feed two throttle bodies. the only problem i may have is the isv and the oil breathers on the rocker cover.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2007
  12. VRSteve Forum Member

drunkenalan is this on mk3 gti 2E?????? sorry just to confirm ....

13. mark25 Forum Junkie

Yes you can ditch the flap type AFM. You can replace it with a MAF type which has less inlet restriction, worth 6 bhp on a prosche 944 IIRC. Here's a universal MAF conversion Kit

14. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the other option is to fit a MAF from a bigger engined car, like a nice big beemer for example :)
    You'll need to fiddle with the spring adjustment inside the MAF to get it running properly, but it has been done with some good results on the vortex forum.

15. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

no its a 2042 AGG Conversion using Big Valve PB head and the original digifant injection.

16. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

any idea on which beemers?

17. Phil. Forum Junkie

search for it on vw Vortex, there's a thread about 19 pages long iirc and verious different ones were tried from E30 bmw's. I started reading it, got 3 pages into it and thought, feck this..." :lol: [:$]

18. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Not sure, but the unit does look visually the same as the MK2 unit apart from it has a bigger hole in the middle :thumbup:

19. prof Forum Addict

digi 2 is such old hat that if you think you have a restrictive inlet then something like megasquirt and a throttle pot/vacc controled system would probably be a wise move.

20. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

ill have a look on vortex.

any one know where i can get a rubber reducer or two that will connect the pb throttle housing to a decent sized pipe ?