Can I get 200bhp out of my abf?

Discussion in '16-valve' started by yrmk2, May 17, 2010.

1. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Well this has taken a turn!

It sounds at the trackday interpretation end of a daily to me, but the bits you've got look very useful.

The 2Y box should answer Danster's point about optimising gearing here (and the 8-valve ratios will give him a warm glow, albeit somewhat dulled by having a 16v casing and 16V 4th :lol: )

2. yrmk2 Forum Member

hope the car turns alright! already fitted d2 coilovers,eibach anti rolls,powerflex bushes,omp stress bars,d2 330 8-pot frond brakes,driled rear discs,mk4 calibers,braided lines,18" etta beta wheels 215/35 yokohamas,6 -point bold in cage,evo 6 recaros and a full abt bodykit and a59 rep bonnet.the car handles amaizingly(much better than hondas!!! :) ) but its very stiff.now i need more power!!!! i use the car as a daily(very short distance-about 10km a day as i work as a climate technitian and use my work van) but i use it mostly on suterday nights for a bit of streed racing :)

3. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Sounds like far more than a daily!

4. yrmk2 Forum Member

well...it is!but i use it everyday! :)

5. jamesa Forum Junkie

Sun Ram 12 - standard 2Y and FD + Quaife ATB red trace

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

DD - standard 2Y with 4.25 FD + Quaife ATB

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

That is quite a bargain!

I got some limited edition sun visor screws if you want to trade them back for your new engine! [:D]

Gurds

7. danster Forum Addict

16valve 2Y box has exactly the same ratios as most GTI 8valve boxes bar a 0.91 5th instead of a 0.89 in the 8valve box which is virtually identical.
    3.66 fd, 3.45 1st, 2.12 2nd, 1.44 3rd, 1.12 4th.:thumbup:

8. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Top trace looks to have something skewed with rpm which in turn would amplified the power reading. Unless the bottom one is under reading engine speed.
    DD plot with fuel mixture confirms what I would expect on from a K jet car for A/Fs and what seems to be a modded WUR. I cannot see how that engine would produce that level of torque on the sun machine with the mixture heading lean. Where the other cars tested on the sun machine set on the same rev limit?

The last trace is the default power reading from the dyno, also showing tractive effort with is a directly porportional to torque, hence the familar shape.

Last edited: May 19, 2010
  9. jamesa Forum Junkie

The car was with the previous owner at this time - his / mine was not run at the same time as the others .. but at a later date and then accumulated for comparison

Hence these figures then ?

201bhp @ 6743rpm / 160lbft @ 6520rpm - Sun Ram 12 ... (4th)

170bhp @ 6300rpm / 150lbft @ 5800rpm - DD ... (3rd)

WUR is modified

Have no record of AFR on Sun RR but WUR was modified back then

Rev limit - his / my car runs a 7800 limit, not sure about the others or the answer to your question

OK, thank you

10. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Bill to back up your post..., When we were at Ajec in December, they ran mine to 7500rpm, which is impossible as rev limiter is 7200... From my understanding say they start the run at 3000rpm which they 'set' before the full acceleration run, if they set that at 2700 or 3300 it will give a different output.

So human 'error' can and does play a part to the accuracy..

[​IMG]

11. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

'gvk' plots posted by jamesa were from 2004-2005 from my 9A with K-jet, ported head and twin ex cams. 7200 rev limit

We all went to Stealth on the same day, but Ian had problems enroute with the 'thing' and went on a different day and the plots were overlayed in fancy colours using the dyno demo software.

12. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Ok folks, I've done a thread split, so the 'Dyno Lottery' (TM) ! is now here

I hope that's a reasonably good split, separating the debate which doesn't add to the 200 brake ABF discussion away from the finer workings of dynos and the pre-amble. Anything in the wrong place, just PM me the post numbers and I'll attend to it :thumbup:

13. Southy_GTI Forum Member

Just to provide some perspective...

If you tune a K20 to the same degree you guys are talking about with the ABF, this is the outcome:

[​IMG]

270hp is with an intake, aftermarket intake manifold, stg2 cams, race header and exhaust. (tuned)

The Civic base lined at 215hp on that dyno with a cold air intake, test pipe and catback exhaust (no tune)

14. Zander_GTI_daft Forum Member

Sorry to jump into this but soon i'll be fitting new exaust and chip to my MK2 ABF, is there any rolling road places near surrey yous would recomend, Also any other things i should be looking to change not after massive power outputs 150 - 165 i would be happy with just want car running as sweet as possible. ??

Thanks.

15. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Send me a PM.