Can someone help me please?

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by chris1993, May 24, 2012.

1. chris1993 New Member

Hi Guys,

I have a 1997 VW Polo L, 1.0L engine.

I'll try to keep this short so it wont confuse anyone.

My polo's been declared of road for the past year and a half, been kept on a drive and it would start and idle fine.

Ive looked at a few forums and a few people have had similar problems as me but not the exact problems im having here's the list.

First of the alarm was taken off my car before i was the owner of it, and they did a cowboy job, just cut the wires unbolted it and unplugged 3 cables under the dash.

The connectors & wires on my headlights (aftermarket) was rusty so i took the lights out and fixed it, and its since ive done this that all of my problems have started.

Engine will start up and idle for around 1 min and then cut out completely and refuse to start again, i poured petrol directly into the carb/injectors and went to start the car and it manages to start but the same thing happens just cuts out, so i replaced the fuel relay fuse and my car started first time with ease...ran for about 2 min's this time and then cut out yet again and wouldnt do anything at all! all the ignition lights come on but go to atually start the car and you get nothing what so ever.

Im having trouble starting it like i mentioned above, i turn the key so that the ignition lights come on and all that happens is my milage readout is replaced with text that says IN 02 that flashes for about 7 seconds then goes and brings my milage back up, turn the key one further to start and i get nothing at all. maybe its some kind of immobilizer?

There's also strange ticking from a black box wired behind the dash, usually it starts ticking when the ignition lights come on, it also comes on when i have my stereo on over a certain volume. might be worth mentioning it...there are alot of wires that are in a connector that just plugs in and on the other side of the box there is a blue wire saying service current or something like that and a long black wire whats been cut and isnt connected to anything

Theres a strange humming coming from what i believe is a sensor on top of the engine, under the air filter, it has quite a few wires connected to it and every time the ignition lights come on it hum's rather loudly (tryed starting with this connected and removed)

I have a few ideas what it might be, but if anyone could offer any advice or help, ide really appreciate it.

Any Questions? :)

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the black box could be the immobiliser control unit, it should only click with the ignition. get diagnostics plugged into it read the ecu codes it'll tell you if the immobiliser is cutting in, then read the immobilser box codes it'll tell you why the immobiliser is cutting in

3. chris1993 New Member

Thanks, il give that a try and get back to you

4. chris1993 New Member

Yeah, so i had a mechanic come out and run a diagnostics on my car, turns out my ECU was blocked, my ignition is knackered, and my fuel pump has stopped working, do you know anywhere i can pick any of these parts up? theres not that many 6N's running about these days

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the ecu you can match to the immob box again with vag-com, 5 second job. odd that it has all of a sudden packed in. ignition switch if thats what you mean is readily available, its same as 90spec mk2, mk3 etc. the fuel pump shouldnt be hard to get off ebay, any polo pump will do they're all the same for the poverty spec models. the higher spec pumps will still work fine on a pov spec car too