Can you tow a car without tax, MOT, insurance?

Discussion in 'Insurance chat' started by voteforpedro, Aug 3, 2007.

1. The db

The db Forum Junkie

Your likely to get pulled if your in tow tbh - you literally may as well have a bright neon sign on the back saying "PULL ME OVER" :lol:. Police are more than aware of how cars being towed normally dont have the required tax/insurance etc etc - happened to a mate and he got a warning, but could of been worse.

2. mk28vICED Forum Member

well it could also be driven there, how much worse would that be? LOTS! much better to tow with not tax, test, insurance than drive with none! but obviously shouldn't done at all. desperate times call for desperate measures and all that.

3. paul_c Forum Member

Its no worse to drive than tow, if the car's not road-legal. There is no distinction in law. And as above, towing sticks out like a sore thumb....

4. David Number 2 Forum Member

when we were towing the above car. we drove straight past a traffic cop parked on a roundabout

how we didnt get stopped ill never understand..

5. JettaTDi

JettaTDi Forum Member

Yep, I will always stop a towed car, David you've been lucky.

6. PAPA S New Member

Where would you stand if you chucked a pair of trade plates in the towed vehicle ?

7. damogti Forum Junkie

with trade plates i think your would be covered for insurance and mot but not tax.....

in the past when i've bought salvage cars before now i have towed them and even driven some of them home (about 2 miles) from the yard. Its so close that ive decided that it was worth the risk...... dunno if i would do it now though. Its easier for the Police to check the legality of a car without even pulling you over which obviously makes it much easier to get caught!!!

8. Paul_TDi Forum Member

afaik I think you can drive a car without tax with trade plates unless i was fobbed off.

When i bought a car it had to go back to the guy for repairs and his excuse for not giving me a courtesy car was he uses trade plates so until he sells a car he doesn't put tax on them.

9. phatman_82

phatman_82 Forum Member

I heard that you don't need tax when using trade plates, probably as most trade cars will be on a forecourt and off road.

10. paul_c Forum Member

Trade plates are just in lieu of tax, there are restrictions on their use too. A garage will probably have trade insurance (covering any cars in their business use). You can't get that (unless you're a trader) and your normal insurance has a number of clauses, eg that the car needs to be MoT'd.

TBH tax and MoT issues alone, are fairly minor. Roadworthiness is more of an issue (they could throw the book at you with that!) and insurance is certainly a hot issue, in fact they'd probaby excercise S.165 to remove the car off the road.

I am assuming you actually have a valid licence, too.

11. WESTY1982 New Member

Yes you can tow anycar even if it hasent got tax or an mot just as long as your car that is towing has it.

12. paul_c Forum Member

No you can't.

13. fthaimike Forum Addict

14. paul_c Forum Member

That forum's just as random as this one:

Myth: if the front wheels are lifted, it doesn't need towing. The truth is, all wheels need to be clear of the ground!

15. fthaimike Forum Addict

Yeah, i just find it strange that on all the official goverment sites that i looked at it only mentions towing regarding trailors/caravans & not cars so they don't exactly help themselves or others.

16. squibby Forum Member

Your a spaz then. when I was towing cross cornwall the last thing I want is some nutter police man trying to pull me over on the A38 to check if I have MOT or TAX.

Anyway, who gets tax to tow a car from one yard to another? absurd.

17. fthaimike Forum Addict

Why is he a nutter if he is keeping illegal cars off the road?

The law is there for a reason even if we still do it.

18. paul_c Forum Member

WHY SHOULD YOU GET AWAY WITH NO TAX IF I PAY MINE?

19. squibby Forum Member

Because when towing a car from point A to point B once in a blue moon I don't want to buy six months TAX. I don't want to produce an insurance certificate to do this, and I don't want to produce an MOT to do this. I simply want to move it from one place to another and don't have a truck.

20. paul_c Forum Member

Hire a car trailer, or get another firm who has a low loader etc to move it, or risk caught & fined then!