cant get crank altenator pulley off !!!

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by daziod78, Sep 9, 2010.

1. daziod78 Forum Member

hello chaps,

Has anyone got any hints on how to get the pulley off the crank on the mk2 gti 16v?
    I`ve manage to get the 4 allen head bolts off but now the pulley or should i say pulleys (one is on top of the other) wont feckin budge, i`ve tried banging it with hammer, a couple of screwdrivers in but still nothing. There does`nt appear to be much room for leverage as there is 1 inch gap between the pulley and the engine block (timing belt cover is between this) Does the two pulleys (one on top of the other ) come off together?

2. danster Forum Addict

They will just be seized on due to the time they have been there. A puller could be the answer if they do not budge with a bit of WD40 and a knock and lever.
    Do not be tempted to undo the large 19mm bolt in the centre as this holds the timing belt pulley to the crank and will not make getting the outer pulleys of any easier. :thumbup:

3. daziod78 Forum Member

it feels like its welded on mate!! I`m going to try a nut and bolt on the back of it i.e unscrewing the nut so it pushes out on the pulley from the engine block, if that does`nt work I`ll torch the car! lol

4. danster Forum Addict

That sounds like a nice idea to help pop it off.
    They can be really tight. Try not to damage the pulley's V that the belts run in.
    Just clean up the bore with some emery paper when it is off and apply a little grease to prevent it sticking in the future. :thumbup:

5. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

best thing is to use a "pulley puller" (as mentioned already by dan)

I used this to separate an alternator pulley from crank last week.

^ you can use a 3-claw puller and a socket on the end of the central threaded punch, I even turned it with an impact gun as I was impatient, pulleys separated in seconds

6. Fray16v Forum Member

you'r lucky getting those bolts out i had to drill them out to get mine off to fit my 2.0 ace and as stated you will need pullers to get that pully off as it can be a right c**t to get off i took at least 2hours before getting the pullers out then it took 2 mins though i had spanners not an impact gun.

7. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

the bolts would have come out with an impact gun :-)

they are worth every penny / best tool in your arsenal

8. Fray16v Forum Member

i know this but unemployment[:^(] forces the use off spanners.:lol:

9. nhoj62

nhoj62 Forum Member

recently done an engine swap and had to get the that pulley off, got two bolts out the other two rounded off, so sat there wondering how to proceed, then just thought stuff it get the angle grinder out, that sorted them bolts, then just belted the pulley with a hammer till it dropped off.

10. daziod78 Forum Member

Cheers for the info guys, i managed to get it off using a nut and bolt behind the pulley, it came off in 10 mins! :-)

I`m away to change the timing belt next week, i`ve managed to get the camshft sproket at TDC but need to check crank is lined up, only prob is I can`t see any timing marks on the sproket, how can i check it??

11. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

There is a small groove around the outer edge of the pulley you have just removed.

This needs lining up with an arrow on the pastic housing which is visible now youve got the pulley off.

Put a white paint line on the pulley whilst it's off and clean the plastic with thinners to get any oil off, so you can see the arrow.

Note although the pulley has 4 bolts and could in thery be put back in 4 positions, there is a raised dimple on the crank pulley still on the car and this fits only in one place on the pulley you have removed.

12. danster Forum Addict

That raised dimple Monsier Eyre mentioned should be roughly in the 8 o clock area when the crank is at TDC.
    You can to be 100% sure line up the TDC mark on the flywheel which is visible down the hole in the bellhousing.
    If you get stuck just shout. :thumbup:

13. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the pulley will only bolt on 1 way, the bolt holes are slightly offset :thumbup:

14. Fray16v Forum Member

thank god i was starting to think i'd put mine on the wrong way.:lol: