Car Amplifier Blown?

Discussion in 'ICE' started by pet73r, Mar 24, 2013.

1. pet73r Forum Member

I had the amp (kenwood kdc-424 2 x 40w) wired up to the ignition live, it was earthed onto the earthing doughnut thing where all the other earths are. The speakers (alpine 150w 4x6") wired up, and then an iPod into the rca input.

At first go it worked perfectly! But then it didnt, for some reason now it works but only very very very quietly, you have to literally put your ear to the speaker to hear it. This is with the iPOd vol up and the input on the amp turned to max.

Anyone know what I have done wrong? It worked first time but now it doesn't??!

Only thing I can think is that Ive overloaded the amp and now it doesnt work properly??

The amp is 2 channel 40w per channel, and speaker are 150w peak/20w RMS.

Would it be okay to run these speakers through this amp?

I should really make a post in the ICE section on clubGTI or something, but thought I would ask here first, perhaps one of you guys knows whats gone wrong??

2. whitemk2 Forum Member

Have you got another amp or borrow another amp to test it?
    The amp should be fine to run those speakers.

Does it work properly with the ipod disconnected ie just the radio or cd player.

I normally wire up amps with a permanant live to the battery, blue trigger wire from the head unit ( to turn the amp on ) and earth from either the battery or nearest chunky eath point.

3. WillG

WillG Forum Member

Have you got a third wire (as above, usually blue) to tell the amp to turn on? It needs, power, earth and remote turn on.

I don't know if you can just find an ignition switched 12v and use that.