Car for girlfriend MKII Polo?

Discussion in 'Fox/Lupo/Polo' started by Peter, Jul 13, 2005.

1. Peter Forum Member

My girlfriend recently passed her test so I am on the lookout for a little runaround for her, read on here a few times that the MKII (?) Polo is a good first car for cost and relaibility, as long as it starts in the morning and does'nt break down I think she'll be happy, just a a few questions really, appologies if they are a bit general I really havent got a clue about Polos

1. What years were they made between ?
    2. What engine options were available?
    3. How relaible are they ?
    4. Is rust an issue at all?
    5. How much would a nice solid example cost?
    6. Are they relatively insurable for a first time driver?
    7. From a cost and reliability perspective which is the best model to go for?

Pete

2. WBR

wbr Forum Junkie

how old is she mate? , try a mk 3 GT coupe

3. Peter Forum Member

Shes 25, just looking for something as a 1st car to use for a year to see if she likes driving and gets enough use out of it then maybe look for something a little more modern, the MKIII are they the g40 shape?

pete

4. Andy947 Forum Addict

Dont look for a MK2 polo, no servo assist on the brakes so they take a bit of effort.

Maybe its MK3/4's that you are wondering about?

5. WBR

wbr Forum Junkie

yea the mk 3 is the g4 shape mate, i may be looking in to getting one myself for a run around before i get enough for my 1.8 driver, very light cars, 1300 engine, 75bhp i believe
    Edited by: wbr

6. VeedubyaGTi

VeedubyaGTi Forum Member

Sorry, thought you were after a swap ;)
    Edited by: VeedubyaGTi

7. Jetta Forum Junkie

:lol: :lol: :lol:

8. cometbluecoupe Forum Member

Mk2 polo - great cars - but as mentioned before the brakes are terrible - I drove mine happily for years before i drove another car which at the time was my dads sierra - almost sent myself through the windscreen at the first application.

The 2F polo (G40 shape) is basically just a facelifted mk2, mechanically its identical apart from fuel injection engines and servo assisted brakes. Sadly though, as they were built in Spain the bulid quality isnt all that - but still good compared to novas/fiestas etc..

2F 1.3 GT could be the shout - quite nippy and the brakes are reasonable + it uses digifant injection as found on later mk2 8v golf.

Dan

9. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Peter, my g/f currently drives our Mk1 Polo and finds the brakes hard going, they are the same non-servo setup as the Mk2 Polo.
    I would be tempted to go for the newer Mk3 (g40 shape) Polo as you can pick up good ones for about 500 no problem and the brakes are far better, also the car generally feels much more solid. Avoid tornado red (pink) if you can help it though. ;)

We're currently on the lookout for a replacement for the Mk1 Polo for my g/f, she likes Lupo's/Arosa's but I have somehow talked her into looking at a Mk1 Golf GTI as well... :p

10. GTiwale Forum Member

yeah, the brakes are shocking, but i got used to them pretty quickly, and they do work, you've just to push em hard.

11. AndrewF Forum Addict

you can even pick up a mk4 (6n) polo's for very little now.....is a much more modern and safer car, not as much personality as a mk3 GT coupe mind, but most women like creature comforts.

12. Peter Forum Member

:lol: Throw in a tank of juice and its a deal :lol:

Cheers Fellas, MKIII sounds like the better option then, just got my local Autotrader there is about four or five MKIIIs ranging from 400 to 600 which seems like a great price they are all 1.0 and are mainly breadvans(?) however there are a couple of coupes, what should I look out for with these? Agree that a MKIV would be better suited but ideally want to keep the cost below 500 so we can have a bit left over for the insurance, I think its going to be pretty steep! Sounds like a good plan Stu Ive only ever driven one RHD GTi and I remember the brakes being pretty scary on that I can only imagine what the Polo is like!

Pete

13. 2Fchris New Member

I've had 2 mk3(2F) Polos now and can definitely recommend them to you. Currently own a GT model.

As has been mentioned, the mk2(86c) Polos are older but slightly less prone to rust. I would still take the mk3 over itas because the brakes are servo not assisted and the carb engines are more prone to messing up.

For the mk3, here is the basic trim levels/engines

Engines:

1.0Spi 45bhp, 1.3Spi 55bhp, 1.3MPi(GT) 75bhpand 1.3Mpi Supercharged(G40) 113bhp

Trim

Fox (very basic, plastic door cards no centre console etc)

CL (default middle of the road one, nicer interiors)

Genesis (same as CL but with factory tinted windows and a rev counter)

GT&G40 come with sporty seats and a range of interiors from grey, to check to black.

You can get a mint low milage CL or genesisfor 500. I paid 1150 for my GT, which is the absolute max I would go up to and only for a mint standard one.
    Edited by: 2Fchris

14. 2Fchris New Member

Oh yes... what to look for in a Polo (mk2 or 3):

Rust:

Mainly the battery tray and filler neck on thepetrol tanksand to a lesser extentthe front windscreen and front wings. Check the heaters work on all 3 settings (not a big job to fix but good to get price down). Check for wobble under braking (ARB bushes).

15. AndrewF Forum Addict

you could also look at mk2 seat ibiza's (mk4 polo underneath, but cheaper)

16. VeedubyaGTi

VeedubyaGTi Forum Member

Wife has one of these, a 1.4 SXE so it has all the extras, she got it just after she past her test 18months ago. It`s been a cracking first car, never wanted for anything, and as said, a Polo in all but name, and well worth considering IMO :thumbup:

17. Mk2 Jettagod Forum Member

come on guys she just passed so she aint looking for a quick car nor a sporty one she is loking for a car to learn how to actually drive in (as in not drive not go slow!)

a 1300?? ner wouldnt recomend one as a first car!
    get a mk2 hatch its small simple and chep to insure probably a 1990 (g or H reg)

would say a 1L (1043cc) only has 4 gears but then again she may drive it into a wall after 3 days

be vary aware that if one comes with wheel arches and side skirst on a mk2 hatch there is sumin up with its sills and wings!!!!

easy to maintain and when the day does come you can get her a mk3 GT but you'll find her soon wanting your car cos its bigger and better!

18. AndrewF Forum Addict

er....my girlfriends first car is a 1600 and she ain't thrown it into a wall.

in reality its better to think more about safety stuff (abs in particular) when considering a car for your other half's....engine size doesn't matter as most girls won't rag it anyway. thats my opinion anyway.

19. was8v Forum Member

yep i would get definatly get somat with ABS.

Reckon I could stop my golf pretty quick from high speed but unless they are canny and dont panic most people would just stomp on the pedal and skid down the road.

ABS makes a massive difference even in low speed stuff!

Probably looking at a mk4 and a bit more cash to get ABS??