Car stereo rear locator bolt?

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by stevec, Aug 3, 2022.

1. stevec Paid Member Paid Member

HI All
    Does anyone know the correct description for this part? If memory serves me, a bolt screws into the back of any car stereo to locate/support it into the dash. I have been trying to search for it on various forums, only mention of it was on a mk1 forum on how to fix a wobbly stereo.
    Thanks
    Steve

2. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

If you're talking old school stereos they would have usually come with a threaded length that was part of the rear of the set and projected backwards.

You then had a rubber bung that went over that which in turn slotted into the corresponding piece that's riveted to the inside of the dash so that it rested it's weight on it.

I do recall there being an extension piece on one old stereo I had but it was unusual, I'm guessing it merely brought the threaded piece closer to the inner dash slot and you then put the bung on it instead.

Difficult to describe in words, may have a stereo somewhere / images to make it clearer.

3. Zender Z20

Easier just to trawl eBay for 5 mins... The bung on the example below is white / clear plastic, any I had were black rubber but you get the idea

You can see the rusty support on the inner back face of the dash pictured.

The bungs weren't anything special, I'd image you probably find something that'd do the job just as well in your junk drawer!

stereo bung.JPG
    stereo support.JPG

stereo thread.JPG

4. stevec Paid Member Paid Member

HI
    Thanks for info. I also have a newer Alpine head unit IDA X100 that has a threaded insert to take a bolt. Would like to use this function to support stereo and take some of the weight off the plastic surround. Had a mk1 golf cabriolet with an annoying dashboard creak that i cured by using this.
    Will fab something up and place heat shrink or rubber around bolt.
    Steve

5. Zender Z20

6. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Yoy could ask that guy on Instagram?

Attached Files:

7. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

usually included with the radio, however I've never had any luck getting aftermarket ones to fit in it they're always in the wrong place. if its a genuine VW stereo though it should line up no problem