Car wont start

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Jake Delgado, Aug 21, 2023.

1. Jake Delgado New Member

Recently completed the 2.0 bottom end conversion on my 1.8 8v Digi GTI.

During the conversion I installed a 4 branch manifold, Autotech 270 camshaft and an AGG 2.0 bottom end.

However after completing the conversion I attempted to start the car with the gearbox to chassis earth strap not attached which fried the ecu…

After replacing the ecu I tried to start the car again which it didn’t start, long story short I have replaced the ECU, ICM, triple checked the timing and distributor to make sure its correct.

I’ve checked fuel and injectors are spraying as they should, engine compression and spark. All wires are connected and earth straps connected… but the car still won’t start.

Ive done an oil change twice as the oil became contaminated with fuel.

I have toe started it a few time to which it will start but it won’t idle and will stall if i don’t rev the car.

And after attempting to crank it a few times the chambers become filled with fuel and so I remove the fuel pump fuse and crank it with my foot down on the accelerator and will sometimes fire the car up but wont idle obviously.

I’m desperate to get the car started as I’m moving away cross country next week and dont have much time left. Someone help!!!

2. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

3. Jake Delgado New Member

Update!…

Got the car started today, it turns out the distributor cog wasn’t timed up correctly,

however I can only get the car started with the fuel pump fuse pulled out and it even idles.

I started it with the fuse out and plugged the fuse in whilst running and it killed the car straight away, any ideas?

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

does it stay running with the fuse out and drive ok? very weird if so. what fuse number exactly and what fusebox is it

5. Jake Delgado New Member

It runs rough for about 20 seconds until the remaining fuel in the chamber is burned off, and it is the fuel pump fuse, not entirely sure of the number as I’m away from the car atm so cant have a look.

6. rubjonny

right, so yeah seems you have a blown ecu then :(

7. Jake Delgado New Member

Really, even tho I can hear the fuel pump priming correctly for a few seconds when the key is turned to on?

8. rubjonny

its possible for them to pop in different ways, thoughit could be you have really high fuel pressure at the rail I guess easy to check with gauge theres a nipple on the end of the rail