Carb Help ! Idle wont drop

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by Momosan, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Momosan New Member

Hello I have a mk2 golf driver with a Pierburg 2e2 carb.

The revs seems to be constantly at 2k, the only time the revs will drop are when its fully hot and the cars at idle, when driving along due to the cool air, the revs go straight back up.

The car also over runs when i turn it off, as well as being a bit hesistant while cold.

Im aware the waxstat was changed years ago, along with the pull down unit.

Could the watstat be at fault again ?

2. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Change your waxstat

3. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Check your waxstat as described in this thread: http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.php?261711-waxstat-is-it-faulty-(with-pics)

It is very possible that it again needs replacement. It could also be getting an inadequate supply of hot coolant due to 'cat's bum syndrome' of the inlet manifold o-ring. Does the autochoke coolant housing get painfully hot after 10 minutes running from cold-start?

One other common fault with similar symptoms is the Thermotime valve (TTV) losing its power, often due to wiring failures. Without a 12V supply it will only warm up with engine bay heat, so its operation will be relatively uncontrolled, and much of the time incorrect.

4. Momosan New Member

Thx for the reply. :thumbup:

The O-ring was changed about 7 years ago. ( I remember burning my hand on the autochoke housing the other day but will check it out).

I have taken the waxstat out and chucked it in some hot water, but looking at the other thread it doesnt seem to extend as far as it should, and the starting position is within the housing.

Out of interest it runs much better when the vacuum to the distributor is removed. Ive read this advances the timing so have left it back on ? I just fitted a new radiator and heater matrix and must of disconnected it in error :( but this over idle has been annoying me for months !