Carb to fuel injection - looking for a novel solution.

Discussion in 'Volkswagen Chat' started by mr.brown, Nov 29, 2015.

1. mr.brown

mr.brown Paid Member Paid Member

The car in question is a mk2 Scirocco, currently happily running a carb. The obvious way to convert this would be to get donor parts from an injected equivalent. Fine idea but if you've seen the 84-on Scirocco/mk1 Cabriolet injection system you'll agree that it's a tad complicated -

[​IMG]

I much prefer the mk3/4 system of a single all-in-one unit (especially handy if you plan on fitting a mk4 engine). Wouldn't it be great if you could fit the mk3/4 pump into the Scirocco tank?

Any ideas how to achieve this? The mk3/4 tank is plastic and has a raised threaded section that the pump sits on and then a screw ring tightens the seal.

Would it be possible to recreate this threaded section in metal and weld it onto the mk2's metal tank? Or is there any other cunning way to affix the pump to the tank?

That's only the first issue to be overcome but it's pointless discussing the rest until this is resolved.

As usual, grateful for any advice/ideas/opinions :thumbup:

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

3. Dave

Dave *Very Smart* Pedantic Old Fart Paid Member

Good on you Tris.
    "Tristan gave me a tip that a mk1 golf cab has an in tank pick up pump which could be used to fill a swirl pot with and external pump, it has piping to connect a small lift pump which would be handy and has the fuel level sender but lads on eBay want 150 stg for them. Dont think so, still need a swirl pot and main pump."

Pat's done a grand bit of engineering there!

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

I've seen guys replace the lifter pump with a higher capacity aftermarket pump with success. doesnt hep with the cost of the level sender assembly though :lol:

5. mr.brown

Thanks for the link Tris - looks like that chap has built pretty much the equivalent of a mk3/4 Golf unit with the bits he had lying around. I need to find some of that stuff in the tube!

RJ - I've seen a Walbro (rotary) lift pump that looks similar in dimension to a Scirocco/Cabby lift pump - could a pump like that be connected directly to filter/fpr/injection rail?

6. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Pat makes the cnc'd brackets guys use when fitting Starlet racks to mk1s. He has sent stuff all over the world at this stage, he might supply some of the bits for the pump too.

7. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

You are correct and that would make a good retro fitment, without any negative effects to the gauge.

8. mr.brown

Thanks for the replies chaps :thumbup: