Carbon roof skins-thoughts?

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by beaniegti, Dec 24, 2008.

1. gillm

gillm ***** User

i think you will find they are doweled in on a m3 !

2. beaniegti

beaniegti Forum Member

If they are on the new version then i can't find anything to confirm this on the e46 csl. All the info i've found points to it being simply bonded in-but its far from anything you could produce at home, its a properly engineered piece as you'd expect

An example.

God how i'd love a csl [8D]

3. beaniegti

beaniegti Forum Member

Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  4. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

I have a friend who can do carbon roof's and they are fine Pm me and i will pass on his details. He is making fiberglass panels for the VR at the moment

5. beaniegti

beaniegti Forum Member

nooooooo, don't tempt me any more than i already am:lol: [:^(]

I've only just got it into my head to sort out the more important issues first rather than chasing fancy carbon parts.

cheers for the offer though-i may ask you in the future should i decide to go this route:thumbup:

6. Natedogg Forum Member

would there be any point to cutting the roof of my 90 spec track toy and welding on a non sunroof skin from another mk2 or would it just be tart value. i like idea of removing sunroof but the ones i've seen 'plated over' look horrible. sorry if that counts as post hijack but don't fancy expensive of carbon skin.

7. steve r

steve r Forum Member

see here
    for how to remove the sunroof structure and use you original panel to fill the hole so the roof looks standard.

8. skint_golfer

skint_golfer Forum Member

been chating to my composites lecturer Paul about this (the lad from crosby has left over xmas it seems) and he basically said its not worth the bother. what it boils down to is cost v's gain and the cost of carbon is unbelievable!

to put it in perspective glass fibre can be had from about 3 per metre compared with single ply dry weave carbon at about 60! and he recomended a 3 ply minimum for the roof if you assume it has no/minimal structural value. more if it dose.

tot it all up (and I recon a mk2 has about 1.5m2 for the roof) you're looking nearly 300 for the carbon + ressin etc just for a wet lay up! and dont forget the moulds you need to make first...

really you should also consider at least bagging it (simply put - vacume packing it) to get the best ressin infusion into the fibre as well as heating it if you dont use an autoclave that is.

...oh and pre-preg can cost up to 400+ per m2 if you fancy :lol:

bit pricy... how confident are you at your laying up skills???? I'd look for one off the shelf if you really ;) need it.

9. skint_golfer

skint_golfer Forum Member

just been asking a few more questions about the lay up process and paul sumarised it quite neatly for the group so I thought I'd pass it on.

carbon fibre can be cured at room tep without bagging, extra heat source or an autoclave but consider the following:

.carbon cured at room temp with nornal pressure = poor structuarl qualities and a poor finish.

.carbon cured with extra heat + bagging but no extra pressure = better structureal properties and a better finish than without but still not anywhere near as good as can be attained.

.caron cured with correct temp, bag and pressure will achieve the best possible results for finish and strength.

having just finished laying up a relatively simple 5 ply piece of work about the size of a diner plate that includede a simple honeycombe core I can say financially it really wont be worth doing - I used atleast a square metre! and it wont be worth the personal hasstle either.

10. beaniegti

beaniegti Forum Member

Some good info there, cheers for finding out and posting it up. :thumbup:

I'm quite interested to hear what standards/techniques performance trim use on their skins so i may see what they have to say.

11. VWtuner-NL New Member

are there more pictures available from this carbon roofskin conversion? or information?
    I`m building a trackcar at the moment maybe it`s an option to go this way.

Thanks in advance.