Carbs on a digi??

Discussion in '8-valve' started by 2dubnick, Feb 11, 2007.

1. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

Basically is it ok to do? I know digis arent great for tunning up but will it fuel carbs ok. Thinking twin 40's nothing stupid. Gona do some work on the mk2 when the sun comes out and drive the convertable so just thinking of ideas at the moment.

2. Fenn Forum Member

you would need a fuel pump and regulator to feed the cars with about 3 psi (they need vol rather than pressure) as well as carbs, Filters, mani, linkage, good rolling road session and a early MK2 gti K jet Dizzy. and you would also need to block the injector holes up with pennys.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2007
  3. Mike_H Forum Addict

If it's for a road car it'll be a right pain...you'll tend to overheat the carbs, and have fuel evaporation problems. Not the best conversion on a road 8v, tbh

4. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

cheers for that, have you done it yourself or know of anyone that has? TBO doesnt sound like it would be the worlds biggest nightmare.

5. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

just saw that after i posted. im only putting ideas out there at the moment. I want more power but its a digi and all the obvious stuff has been done.

Anyone with ideas?

6. Mike_H Forum Addict

If you can make them fit, what about throttle bodies from a bike? With an injection setup, the fuel doesn't hang around long enough to overheat, unlike the float chambers on a carb. Lots of heat shielding and bonnet vents might help, but there's not much space between the inlet and exhaust manifolds on an 8v.

However, even with TB's, you'll need to work hard to get cold air into the area, or you might be wasting your time. You probably want a bonnet scoop type of airbox.

7. Fenn Forum Member

i have a heat shield on my set up above my 4-2-1 and have no problems. but do have a return which will help matters.

8. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

Yea i did think about bike TB but size and heat issues might be a bit much for me to cope with. Iv been on about getting nitrous for ages but after the cost of the kit and refilling bottles it seems like i should be able to get sumthing better for my money. I realy dont wana change the car on engine because both are in such a nice condition.

9. supercharged999 Forum Member

loads of people say digifants are not too tunable, but they are.

mine is an every day driver and power has gone from 112 hp to 143.6 hp (31 hp increase ) without a manifold.torque went up by 38 ftlb.

not bad considering only 8valves and a single cam ?????

i looked at TBs , but heat` would have been a problem.

10. Fenn Forum Member

not if you found a 2.0 8v beetle or mk4 x flow head.

11. challice Forum Member

what you could do is fit a piggy back ecu...have a nose on balancemotorsport.co.uk...

12. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

Just had a quick look on there, lots of nice stuff prices are pretty good aswell! :)

13. challice Forum Member

yeah ive bought few bits from them, reliable delivery an really good costomer service which is always good...:)

14. arienol Forum Member

I have seen a few 2.0 8v crossflow engines for sale recently. The only thing that put me off was that they didn't have manifolds. Does anyone know if the MK2 PB manifolds bolt up to a crossflow head?