Carputer

Discussion in 'ICE' started by GolfChick22, Dec 6, 2005.

1. GolfChick22 Forum Member

well for those couple of you who i chat to you will already know ive begun work on my planned in car pc for those who dont, I begun work on an in car pc [:D]

as i reached a milestone today thought id take a photo and post it up, cos im nice like that

[​IMG]

touchscreen 7" monitor which will be put into the dash in a fortnights time http://www.dizzie.biz/misc/tft.jpgto look like that. The system it self is intel celeron 2ghz, mobo with everything onboard, 512 mb ram, 160gb hd, dvd drive and as you can see usb wireless internet. Yet to be added is gps reciever and a few other doohickies.

Not yet decided where it is going to be mounted as need to take case and see where the best fit is wiring wise etc.

shall keep posted pics wise as the progress happens. tminus 10 days tills creen is mounted.

2. Jeff Forum Junkie

cool, how are you powering it? power inverter?

3. Jeff Forum Junkie

p.s I'd look for a pci wireless card if you can fit one, that usb thing looks a bit breakable!

4. dustybin New Member

A PC IN A CAR LOL LOL

whatever next?

The WASHING MACHINE?

THE DISH WASHER?

THE DEEP FAT FRYER???

so how do you connect to the internet in your car?

5. mbh69 Forum Member

cool if you need any help or info i'm sure a few of the boys running them on talkaudio would be happy to help
    i'd do it myself but i'm sure it wouldn't like the amount of bass that would get thrown at it lol and a lack of space doesn't help either

6. gti8v Forum Member

i would do it myself but can't fit the desk in without folding the rear seats down

7. GolfChick22 Forum Member

i cant decide how to power it yet, not sure whether to go for the opus type route or just an inverter.

atm thats my main concern is which route to power it and where to mount it. If i mount in the boot under my already boot install i think have to think about getting the wires all way to the front of the car.

the puter wont be online all the time the wireless usb thing is mainly for when its sat in drive and im transfering my mp3s from my desk computer to the car so it wont be plugged in all the time, but I know what u mean!

8. dustybin New Member

u could view naughty images whilst on the move:lol:

or stop off for a quick ****

9. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Forum Member

i made a car pc, aint got a touchscreen no more though. Your pc seems a bit big...

I have spent like 6months looking into carpcs, dunno why.. guess i love VW's and PC's.

Look here, mp3car

What you need is a 12v PSU!!!!! for car pc, dont DONT use a inverter!!!!honest.

12v psu:

[​IMG]

you need this baby!!

[​IMG]
    Edited by: Sc0rian

10. GolfChick22 Forum Member

i wanted something that at end of day could be removed from the car and used elsewhere strongly and capably. I tried the invertor, needless to say its being returned and arriving tomorrow is an opus 150w :)now buying infomap navigator 4 for EU cos i cant find a download anywhere!! grrr [:x]

11. eloquent Forum Member

You trying to impress someone with that carputer?

12. Paradroid Forum Developer Paid Member

I had planed a car computer possibly using this for the power suply. One advantage is that it can automatically startup/shutdown the computer when you switch the ignition on.

For a PC I was ging to use something along the lines of one of these.

Wireless LNa and a remote power on so I could switch it on from inside the house and remote control it using VNC. That way I could upload MP3's etc from the house.

Obviously I'd have a second battery in the boot so I didn't drain the main one.

*sigh* if only i wasn't a poor student.

13. GolfChick22 Forum Member

well thats the power supply ive installed, however, mine is the 150w version and it's now running great but im off to pc world shortly to get two extensions and put it in the boot and this weekend im hoping to install the screen properly as well as mess about wit a few other sloppy imperfections ive been letting myself get away with cos im lazy, however, no more!!

14. Rick 16v Mk2 Forum Member

car PCs. Awesome
    :thumbup:

15. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Forum Member

good luck..

car pc is well well down my list off stuff.. alloys, exchaust, engine and stuff.. ice is last tbh.

16. samuelellis New Member

goof luck, i was building a car pc, had the shell working correctly and everything but had to kill the project temporarely

you going to use the standard windos shell or change the shell to something along the lines of media car etc?

17. GolfChick22 Forum Member

thought id update with some pictures of what i spent today and yesterday doing.

[​IMG]

really pleased with how it has turned out and just fixing two more bracket to hold the top a bit more securley then some minor wiring to do before i buy new battery on wed.

18. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Looking good :).

I was looking into a carputer last year for mapping the car, ended up buying a cheapy 50 laptop off ebay which gets bounced around under the seat..

19. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

good work there :clap: , always fancied one myself, mostly to have MP3's, vehicle diagnostics & now a days satnav

wiring it to display various engine temps/boost pressures would also be nice

now wheres my black leather jacket & home perm KITT ;)

20. GolfChick22 Forum Member

yeah all my mp3s are going on as too is sat nav and dvds for journeys to the shows this year [:D]