cat requirements

Discussion in 'Corrado' started by RyanMac, May 17, 2011.

1. RyanMac Forum Member

Hi all

I have been looking on the net but can't find the answer but does my K reg 92 plate corrado require its catalytic converter or can I remove it and put a straight through pipe in its place?

Cheers

Ryan

2. Mike_H Forum Addict

I think at that age the car is just old enough to not need one, but there's also a rule about if it had one fitted new, you're supposed to keep it.

You might need a friendly MOT man.

3. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

August '92 onwards needs a cat, or a friendly MOT man

4. mk1 valver

mk1 valver Forum Member

From what I gather reading on the corrado forum there is no point removing the cat unless you are going forced induction, they are very free flowing, on the vr6 at least, so would imagine the others to be the same but could be wrong.
    One guy fitted a de-cat and gained .1 bhp and lost about 4lbs of torque.

5. Mike_H Forum Addict

I think cars built before August but not registered till later in 1992 have an exemption too, so it depends when it was actually built. I'm under this impression because Rover registered a lot of cars before the end of the year, and gave them out to employees on a cheap leasing scheme, to clear out their 'non catalyst' stock before they had to rework them all. I expect other manufacturers did the same, but I didn't work for any of the others ;)