CD Changer problems

Discussion in 'ICE' started by Pete, Jan 19, 2004.

1. Pete Forum Member

Hi,

The Sony 10 disk Multichanger that came with my Mk3 Gti has started to give me error messages on the head unit. It loads the disks ok as I can hear the mechanism working, however it hangs for a few seconds then says 'Error' on the head unit, and then tries the next disk.

The multichanger is located in the boot against the back seat and I have noticed that when I have ejected the cassette to check that the disks are clean, they are all full of condensation.

Could this be the reason why the laser is not picking up the tracks correctly and has anybody else had similar problems, fixes for this etc..

Thanks,
    Pete.

2. Madbloke Forum Member

Possibly - slight condensation normally causes the disk to skip badly so theoretically it may not read it at all esp Sony as their not quiet as rugged as their counterparts.

Try taking the changer inside overnight and connecting again to see if this helps although you need to find the root problem of how condensation is getting in in the 1st plavce --- knacked boot seal maybe [:s]

3. Pete Forum Member

Thanks for the reply. I think I will take it in the house over night like you say and then try it again to see if that is the problem.

The rest of the boot does not feel damp or wet, and the seals all look fine, so I am not sure why it is getting so much condensation. I am thinking of re-locating the changer to the glovebox or something. Do you think that would help?

4. Madbloke Forum Member

It shouldnt really matter where the disc changer sits as long as its solid (and i like to put a piece of foam or material undernaeth it as I found this is the best way to stop them skkipping on pot holes).

Do you find your car steams up easily inside in the wet?

5. Pete Forum Member

It is very solid where it is at the minute and when it was working it never skipped at all when driving over bumps etc. So I think that it is just the condensation thing that is causing the trouble.

I just wondered if locating it somewhere in the dashboard would warm it up quicker when the heaters are on, as there is not much ventilation in the boot.

The car doesn't steam up any more than other cars that I have owned when in the wet.

Cheers,
    Pete.
    Edited by: Pete

6. shaggyjh Forum Member

I hate to say, but mine did this. I took it to a couple of electrician guys i knew and they said it was the laser that had gone, and it would be a cool 160 to fit a new one!! [:s]

As you can imagine i got a brand new changer.

Hope i'm wrong.

7. Madbloke Forum Member

The condensation I would have thought is being caused by a water leak --- even though you may not be aware of it.

Have you checked to see if there is any water in the spare wheel well and that all the plugs are still there?

8. Chris Forum Member

It will be the laser, had exactly the same problem with mine. Starts skipping, not reading tracks on CDR's then it wouldn't read anything.

9. Pete Forum Member

Just checked the spare wheel area and around the boot and all seems fine, no leaks.

Funny thing is, I first posted this earlier when I was at work but on the drive home it started working again without skipping. Although it would only read the first disk in the changer.

Hmmmmm.......better start pricing up a new changer just in case [:^(]

Thanks for the replies,
    Pete.
    Edited by: Pete

10. Madbloke Forum Member

I still think the condensation is the main problem here but have you tried mounting the changer in a different way ie vertical as opposed tohorizontal and vice versa.

Some times its the loading mech that goes on them and changing mounting position can temporarily help

But at the same time get a new and preferably non sony changer as the sony gear is crap --- I put one in a car and it lasted about 16 months --- got it repaired and it kept on breaking whereas my Pioneer was still going strongf with no probs 5 years on!

11. Chris Forum Member

Nah, I disagree, defo Laser imo, lol. I had exactly the same symptoms.

12. Madbloke Forum Member

Depends on whether you think that the faulty laser would cause the condensation in the machine or not.

At the end of the day theses things arent designed to last long --- you always end up shelling out for new gear [:^(]