CE1 Front Foglight install advise please.

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Rustbuster, Dec 22, 2023.

1. Rustbuster

Rustbuster Paid Member Paid Member

Am retrofitting some front fogs to my ‘84 GTI and wondering if anyone has any advice on how to? Am guessing much of the wiring will be already installed at the factory. Am thinking I should be able to wire up to the factory dash switch which currently just switches the rear fog on/off. Reading from that switch we go to relay number 7, then from there hopefully to loom in the engine bay. I have noted there are a lot of factory block connectors which lie dormant on the firewall. Thinking one of those may just need extending to my new lights? Got them circled in green. Cheers guys..
    IMG_2056.jpeg

2. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

When you say front fogs, do you mean what would sit below the front bumper? If so there us a 2 pin connector hiding underneath the Coolant tank. This has voltage but does need a relay swap somewhere. Rubjonny explained it to me when I looked at this on my 85gti. I've just taken power for them that way. Not finished them yet as the front end is still off of the car. I'm out shopping but could get a pic of the connector later.
    And if you mean the fogs that sit inside the grille instead of spotlights. Ignore everything I just said

Rustbuster likes this.
  3. Rustbuster

Rustbuster Paid Member Paid Member

Yeah, It’s for fogs that sit under the bumper. I’ll have a hunt around under the coolant res for said feed. As you suggest, I was thinking I’ll have to put a relay into slot 7 to then hopefully make one of those blocks a useable live to feed fogs.