Changing gearbox oil. Please clarify my pics to make sure

Discussion in 'Mk1' started by Alexf, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Alexf Forum Member

Hi guys,

Am going to attempt to change gearbox oil soon on my JB 1457cc Golf mk1.

I have read various horror stories on forums of people filling it up in the wrong hole and losing their speedo cogs only to be ground up in the gears.

Therefore, could someone please clarify with the pics I've taken.

Right first this is the gearbox code. It says GC 13092

[​IMG]

Next is the fill hole I believe. It is on the side of the gearbox near the wheel.

[​IMG]

I think this is the drain hole? Its on the bottom so that would seem obvious :p

[​IMG]

Next, this is the speedo hole. I have read that you are supposed to take this out after adding 1.5 litres of oil through the fill hole and then add another 0.5 ltrs through this but I don't really want to mess with the speedo, so is this avoidable?

[​IMG]

Also, Im going to VW to get the oil, any particular that I need or will they tell me?

And lastly, just to clarify, I DONT GO ANYWHERE NEAR THIS INSPECTION HOLE ON THE TOP DO I?

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance

Alex

2. Alexf Forum Member

Oh and one last thing, this bolt is on the front top of the gearbox, is it something to do with filling or shall I leave alone?

[​IMG]

3. wesley Forum Member

Oil i use is: Castrol Manual taf-x transmission fluid,
    Great oil. i've seen it take 2nd gear crunch from a box

Looks like your heading the right way,
    that inspection hole is for checking the mark on the flywheel for
    engine timming, so you dont need to go near it,

Dont be afraid to take the speedo off, if the speedo gear was to fall off
    the end of the cable dont worry,
    its only made of plastic type material that will just break up inside
    the gearbox and a new one is easily got
    normally there well stuck on

Yes leave this alone: bolt is on the front top of the gearbox

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

if you want the proper oil level you have no choice but to take the speedo cable out im afraid. just be careful when you pull the cable, wiggle and pull gently dont yank it or you may pull the gear off. if it hasnt fallen off already chances are the circlip is there so it wont fall off now either.

just fill it thru the speedo hole till it runs out the filler hole in the side, then fit the bung and add your extra in the top.

http://www.brokevw.com

5. David Hills New Member

Hi, just reading this thread as I am doing a gearbox oil change myself tomorrow. This doesn't apply to me as I have the later gearbox with the correct level filling hole. Reading this thread, I wondered if it is possible on your car to fill the gearbox to the hole that is there & then jack the car up high on the gearbox side & then squeeze another 500ml in ? Obviously put the plug back in before you let it down. Saves messing with the speedo drive, just a thought. ????

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

If you can get it high enough then that could work, not sure what angle you would need to get it to.

tbh its easier to fill it thru the speedo hole regardless, unless someone has been in there before you and not fitted the gear correctly it wont fall off the circlip holds it nice and tight. just as i said, make sure you dont pull it too hard or catch the gear on the edge of the hole