Changing head unit LED

Discussion in 'ICE' started by Peter, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Peter Forum Member

Hi gents

got the aerial working now i've found the back light for the display isn't working

The button backlights are working

[​IMG]

Cant make out all the markings on the led itself, are there different types?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The display should light up green would the LED be green or are they usually white with a green filter in the display?

I have used a soldering iron in the past but i'm no expert is this something that could be tackled by an amatuer

Last edited: Apr 22, 2010
  2. Dougie Paid Member Paid Member

The display illumination looks like a bulb to me. Which explains the marking "14v, 80mA" on the circuit board - matching the markings on the component.

Bulbs like that are used on the airbag/abs/trailer warning lamp modules of Golf/Vento and the mid 90's Passat, though the leads are usually cut shorter; Passat with Abs might have one with the leads that length. The green colour will be achieved either with a green filter behind the display or a coloured sleeve over the bulb.

3. Peter Forum Member

thanks Dougie

took the unit into maplin yesterday to get a replacement, didnt have one so i'll have to lok on line, they guy did mention that it is an unusual bulb and is actually used as a resistor for another part of the radio [:s]