Changing Ignition Switch on Mk2

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by 1990, Jul 14, 2004.

1. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Where is it, what does it look like, how do i change it?

2. Baj MK2 VR Forum Member

remove the plastic cover around the stearing column.
    you will see a bunch of wires going to the back of the ignition barrel (red, red+black, black+yellow, black, etc wires) these wires are plugged into the switch( white plastic thing). the switch is held in by 2 little screws. remove these and the switch should come out. ;)

3. 1990

Cheers Baj :clap:

4. JEZ

Jez Forum Member

The switch on my mk2 was only held in with one screw. Was very awkward to get to as well, due to the screw being tucked away in a recess in the steering column.

I just smashed the old switch to get it out, then removed the screw and fitted new switch :)

5. Joe_G Forum Member

Umm, you're supposed to remove the whole upper steering column bearing housing, that's the only way to get to the screw.

Involves removing a lockwasher from the column itself then undoing everything and the upper bearing/housing can then be pushed up and out from the column.

Cheers,
    Joe

6. 1990

The switch is fine, the car does the same when its hotwired [:^(]

7. Baj MK2 VR Forum Member

Put the switch back.
    turn the ignition on.
    are you getting a 12v+ from the black wire if you are then the problem is further down.
    check all the fuses and make sure you are not missing any relays.
    When you did the engine conversion did you use a MK3 fuse box?
    is the fule pump priming?
    is the car cranking?
    are all other electrics fine?(interior light, rear heated window etc.)

8. 1990

I'm going to check for 12v at the black wire you mention and at the starter soleniod red.black wire on the engine side. I'm going to put the battery back to the factory location as well untill i'm sorted.
    -----------------------------------------------

I kept the mk2 fuse box

The fuel pump runs constantly

The car doesn't crank

Other stuff is fine

(did you ever put those 17" BBS splits on your car?)

9. Baj MK2 VR Forum Member

I don't know alot about MK3s but did you get all the relays from the MK3. there is a relay for the ecu (if i remember correclty). Does your car have a normal coil. if so the coil should a black wire connected. this is the igniton feed. if you give this wire a feed it should turn the ignition on. also i think the MK3s use a starter relay which the MK2s dont have. have you got this relay?
    I have got someone with a MK3 comming to see me over the weekend i will have a look at the wiring on it

I still have not put the BBS17s on yet (had to find some with a differant off set, took ages finding them), my MK2 VR has been sitting in my garage for a while now. (sorting interior at the moment) and i have also been playing with my Rallye which i got at X mas. :p

10. Baj MK2 VR Forum Member

You say the fule pump runs constantly. is this becuse you have wired it like that or did it just do it itself.
    the pump should prime and then switch of until you start the car. it sounds as if you are missing something (relays or fuses) rather than incorrect wiring.
    Also have you got a red+brown (accessory live) wire coming from the ignition switch. if you have you may need to change the switch for a MK3 or corrado one or cut it and connect it to an ignition live (black wire)
    What year car was the engine from?? sorry i know you have answered this before. [:$]
    also when you test the red and black wire on the starter, if you don't get a feed to it while turning the key try giving it a live feed.
    Turn the igniton to the on position.
    go around to the engine bay and give the red+black wire a feed until the car starts. if the car starts then you only have a problem with the starter wiring (probabely the relay)
    if it still does not start then it could be the ECU relay (if it has one, i can't remember)
    The fuel pump relay is in postion 12 (bottom right), and the ECU relay is in position 3 (top middle) and i think the starter is one from the bottom right.

Some thing else i remembered. when i took my engine loom out i had to cut one wire near the coil (i think it was black+red, opposite color to the starter wire) so i could seperate the two looms. did you have to cut a wire? if so have you reconected it. ( i am not sure if it would apply to the new wiring you used)
    Edited by: Baj MK2 VR

11. 1990

The fuel pump doesn't stop, i haven't changed any of its wiring.

Yes i have a red/brown from the ign switch

The engines from a 1996 (mines a 1992 mk2)

I never had to cut any wires when i removed the mk2 engine loom.

Did you learn your stuff at college? (have a look at my thread in vehicle chat)
    I'll print this off and test out your suggestions tonight :thumbup:

Thanks again for your help!!!!!! [:D] :clap:

12. 1990

I just saw this post:

I didn't get any mk3 relays.

I'm using the mk3 coil which is more like a mini VR coil pack than a normal mk2 coil.

A Rallye for x-mas!!!! I bet that was a squeeze down your chimney :lol:

13. JEZ

Jez Forum Member

I know, but I found that using a drill pressed against the side of the screw was sufficient to turn it and a lot quicker than pulling the column apart. My excuse was that I was in a hurry as the switch packed up the night before inters :)

14. 1990

Didn't it set on fire or something [:s]

15. JEZ

Jez Forum Member

Pretty much, there was a lot of smoke and the old switch had started to melt :o

Lots of smoke which was nice :lol:

16. 1990

The red/black wire only has 3volts when either the key is turned to ign. or I manualy wire the red to the black ign. live [:s]

17. hayesey Forum Junkie

it's sounding like you're going to need a mk3 fusebox & relays to me Ian.

18. 1990

Heres my fusebox in this car:
    [​IMG]

Heres the one from my mk2 VR6:
    [​IMG]

19. 1990

There are 2 extra ones in the mk2 vr6 :o

Top left and second in on the bottom right!!

Baj - You should do this fulltime!!!!!

20. Baj MK2 VR Forum Member

I am quite sure you need a starter relay.
    the red+black wire should only have 12v with the key held in the start posision.
    i think it is the one in from the bottom right that is missing from the fuse box.
    do a continuity test from the red+black wire to the pins on the fuse box where the realy should go. this will tell you if it should have a relay.

I am thinking about doing this full time as my mate has just started his own company and i could work with him. (Audi Volkswagon independant Technicians, AVIT ) ;)