Cheap performance mods to a Mk2 1.8 Drive

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by DamoH, Feb 18, 2005.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

How much you gain from a webber probably depends how knackered the pierburg was before. Was the webber tuned to the engine before the RR? If the pierburg had been tuned to the same standard I dont think the difference would have been as much. But good luck finding someone willing to do so :)

It all comes down to how much money you want to spend on extra HP, I decided to just fix my carb, its cost me about 20 and a weekends work :thumbup:

2. smithy Forum Member

You will definately gain power from the weber though, the choke sizes are much bigger that the peirburg, it also makes the engine much more responsive :)

3. DamoH New Member

My pierburg is pretty knackered, to be fair. Swapping to the weber unit should make the world of difference. The guy who I am buying it off will jet it ready for the 1800 but obviously to get the most out of it I should have it set up on a rolling road, right?

Ok, maybe I will get the Gti cam after all.

Also, just got back from having a stereo and speakers fitted, that makes the fact its not that powerful morebearable. ;)

Suspension gets done tomorrow.

4. rubjonny

Can the driver engine actually suck in enough air for the larger butterflys to make a difference?

Edit: To get the maximum out of it you'll want it rolling road tuned, and if you're going to all the trouble get a GTI cam & exhaust fitted beforehand :)
    Edited by: rubjonny

5. DamoH New Member

No idea, I'm just a newbie. But what if you replace the air intake with an aftermarket one. Fine mesh filter with drilled airbox?

I might do the cam right now but the exhaust will def have to wait. I don't want to take too much money away from the MR2 cos I'm planning to take it on a few trackdays this year and it needs a new gearbox and brakes at the very least. So, rolling road tuning might have to wait until i get a new exhaust for the Golf later in the year.

6. rubjonny

'Performance' filters certanly don't make a difference to power, just stick a decent quality pannel filter in there.

Drilling the airbox will just make it sound louder, and perhaps reduce power, due to all the hot air that will be sucked in. But then the warm air feed is active 99.9% of the time anyway so probably wont matter.

7. DamoH New Member

Do you really think so? I know they do on other cars. Is that just the case on this Golf?

Already got a decent brand new pannel filter in there as of service the other week.

Ah, I was reading around on this site and I thought I had noticed that drilling the airbox made a difference. Ah well.

8. smithy Forum Member

Well, the 1.8 driver engine is essentially the same spec as an 8v Gti (well, a k-jet one, the digis have larger inlet valves) so i would think it would...

Like I said in another post, mine made 122 horse at the flywheel (see sig for readout) with GTi camshaft, head I ported myself, Re-Jetted Weber and GTi 4 into 2 exhaust manifold.

9. DamoH New Member

122 is a fair achievement for a Golf Driver. Good effort.

10. rubjonny

Well I guess with all the mods you performed it would, but in standard form I'm not so sure.

Well what do I know anyway :)

The way I see it, the 100odd quid for a webber would be better saved for when I can afford the insurance for a GTI :)

11. mr.rabbity Forum Member

I agree performance air filters do didly. My K&N Biscuit filter actually makes the car run worse in traffic.

However the warm air is not active 99.9% of the time. Mine isn't used in the summer and I think it shuts off at about 15-20 degrees isn't it? It is open virtually all the time in the winter though.

12. DamoH New Member

Hmmm, maybe performance filters don't do much for Golfs, but I know they do generally. They certainly do on my MR2, but maybe thats cos its in a highly modded state with supercharger engine, powerboost valve, full stainless exhaust system and a few other bits and pieces. We're talking 180 bhp from a 1.6 litre engine, and a good 5 bhp of that is the air filter. ;)

Like you say, air filters help if you do lots of other mods. I would prob agree that on their own, they might be a waste of time.

13. rubjonny

Well, what percentage of the year is the air going to be that warm in the UK :lol:;)

Agreed it will be open all the time in the winter, not sure about the opening temperature though, anyone know?