Cheaper to insure car on road than car on drive

Discussion in 'Insurance chat' started by 1990, Jan 21, 2015.

1. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

I just renewed one of my policies and swapped from being on the road to being on the drive overnight. It put the premium up by 25. Seems odd and the guy didn't know why.

I told him I'll leave it on the road instead lol

I also have had fully comp quotes cheaper than third party ones

2. bootsie Paid Member Paid Member

Insurance doesn't make much sense sometimes. They obviously think there's a higher risk of it hit by a roof tile than or something than there is of someone driving into it when it's parked up. [8-}]

3. Tony@Greenlight

Tony@Greenlight Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

Hi 1990,

Keeping the vehicle upon the driveway reduces the chance of vandalism and our products have always rewarded vehicle's that are kept on a driveway, or in a garage.

One factor that may be influencing the road being a lesser cost to your current Insurer could be to do with more modern cars (with latest security systems fitted) requiring the keys for the thief to steal the vehicle. Which if the car is parked upon a driveway indicates to the thief exactly which property where the vehicle/keys are kept.

Insurers do track claims data and use it to drive their risk acceptance and premium rating.

We still have the mindset (and a product range reflecting) that we prefer the driveway or garage.

Kind regards

Tony

4. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

I never thought if that Tony!!! :thumbup:

If I ever get a decent car I'll park it outside a neighbours ;) lol