Classic Car

Discussion in 'Insurance chat' started by WhosRado, Jun 27, 2010.

1. WhosRado New Member

Anyone know where I can get classic car insurance at 19? My mate is 21 and he has it and it's proper cheap, like 250 per year.

John

2. jonk710

jonk710 Forum Member

Same place as your mate?

Google search should come up with the goods.

3. paultownsend Forum Member

footman james? limited though

4. dragonfly

dragonfly Paid Member Paid Member

I think you need to be 25 and over with FJ. Limiting the annual mileage and using the car occassionally with help reduce your premium.

5. Devon Dubber

Devon Dubber Forum Member

Adrian flux? I'm on a 5k mile limited policy and paying not much, I can incease it to the next level of mileage, 7k, without any extra cost (apart from the extra that I would have paid from the beginning anyway).

6. dave_dub86 Forum Member

Can you get a classic policy on a car with an engine conversion? Just tried to insure my mk1 16v as a second car and apparently your no claims can only be used on one car so it's going to cost 300 more than it did when I had it as my only car two years ago! And that's with putting it on a 2000 mile limited mileage!

7. Mike_H Forum Addict

It depends on the company. Some don't really operate a no claims system, and some will mirror your NCB from one car to the other, to win your business. Buy a classic car mag and ring all the companies advertising in it.

8. dave_dub86 Forum Member

Just to update this....
    I thought I'd wait til I was 25 to seek classic insurance on the mk1. Phoned brentacre yesterday and apparently it's too modified to be on a classic policy (9a on carbs) so therefore quoted me 850 as a second car on a 2k miles a year policy?? That's 200 more than when I posted above! I was expecting to get it onto a classic policy and pay no more than 300!
    Kind of at the end of my tether with this, I can try footman James but it seems others with engine conversions are having duff quotes.
    Who are you guys with engine converted second cars insuring with??

9. Chris P Forum Member

You don't need to be over 25 to get insurance with fj.My son and his mates are 17 and 18 and all have their 1.3 Mk2 Golfs insured with them.But they do not like modified vehicles other than alloys as far as I know.

10. Mike_H Forum Addict

I think it'll be tough to insure that cheaply, but shop around. I found HIC pretty good for modded cars, and the mods don't seem to matter as much on a Multi-Car policy with FJ, but I was a good bit older than 25 when I used HIC for a modded car.

11. dave_dub86 Forum Member

Yeah I phoned HIC the same time as Brentacre a couple of months ago and they said they were using the same insurer (similar price). My other car is a newer Audi, do you think Footman James would be interested in doing a multi car policy on the Audi and the mk1? Or are they 'old' cars only?

12. Mike_H Forum Addict

You need to have 3 cars for a multi-car policy. One of them can be a modern car, and the rest as classics.

13. dave_dub86 Forum Member

Hmmm, thanks Mike, I'll enquire with Footman James then I think, see how I get on