Cleaning out a TDi inlet mani of gunge - * update - EGR blank done *

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by A.N. Other, May 23, 2008.

1. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

its a lot to do with the soot diesels let in through their stupid egr (exhaust gas recirculation) valves that make the gummy mess

its a PITA to sort out too.

might be worth looking to see if your intercooler was clean on the inside though

2. bula_82 Forum Junkie

is that something i'll need help for? :lol:

3. rocco2litre

rocco2litre Forum Junkie

when should the valve be open? mine was jammed solid with the crud
    inlet ports in head were ok.
    only the manifold 30 percent blocked.
    As said the difference is unbelievable.

4. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

it opens (from what i remember) at low revs on light throttle openings and does its recirculation thing

i made a blank for mine and did a few other simple tweaks. the car rocked after that, even made it more efficient

5. rocco2litre

rocco2litre Forum Junkie

was hoping the allard egr pipe would have arrived sat.
    as i have to strip it down again to fit.

6. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Made up the EGR blank the other day - nothing too sophisticated and please criticise if this isn't the best way.

1mm steel and an old EGR gasket:

[​IMG]

Cut and drilled:

[​IMG]

^^ My thoughts are that it might rust out - 1mm steel, how long would that last etc [:s]

Hardly visible, but jammed in between two EGR gaskets at the end of the pipe that comes from the exhaust manifold and just before it hits the EGR. That way it can't blow any more crud down the capillary pipe to the N75 (though it wasn't seemingly a prob on this 90-brake 1Z engine inlet design):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yet to do an MPG test on it, but was instantly quicker when the head was cleaned out. Didn't notice anything once the EGR blank was put on - should I? Or may be it's all relative and I had the most out of it when the head was cleaned?

7. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Even 1mm steel should last for ages if you treat the outside with something, or just grease it - diesel soot is nasty greasy stuff anyway, so should stop any corroding from the inside.

8. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

thats the way to do it (in MR Punch voice!)
    your not going to notice much of a difference driving, open more so on warm up & idle period

long term - you've seen the results already !

9. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Just got round to doing some MPG numbers which were done straight after all this gunge was cleaned out.

Only did a couple of tanks and got a gain of between 4 and 8 mpg.... [:D]

To think I'd been giving that away for ~ 30k miles [8(]

10. mad_despot New Member

I disabled my egr valve by disconnecting the vacuum pipe that leads to it. I plugged the vacuum pipe (with a small bolt if I remember rightly) so that it didn't suck up dirt, but left the egr opening alone so that air temperature / pressure changes don't cause it to open.

Takes about 20 seconds including opening and closing the bonnet. :clap:

11. Steve B Forum Junkie

sorry to ask the question but by the LZ code above im guessing this is something that happens to mk3 deisels?

i should be getting my first on tuesday its a 50k S Reg Golf estate TDI

is this something i should be sorting out on it? maybe blocking up the pipe before it can do too much harm or cleaning out whats there already?

never owned a diesel before so its all new to me.

if its something i sould be doing would anyone be willing to fashion up a blank like chris's for me?

thanks

12. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Yes, do it asap. It affects all diesels, not just the 90bhp 1Z engine.

Easy to make - bit of steel, a file, a saw, a drill and a gasket to fashion the shape off. Oh, and two new gaskets to sandwich it between.

13. Steve B Forum Junkie

cool cheers chris. Is there anywhere i can find more info on this, i have no idea where id be looking in the engine etc lol

what does the ERG do i take it there is no detrement to blocking it off? i dont want to damage such a low milage engine.

Thanks

14. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

It's needed on the exhaust entry side of the EGR valve. There is a pipe off the exhaust manifold.

Trace the pipe loop back to the inlet, you'll find the EGR valve, which'll have a small vacuum hose coming off it. Block the main pipe at the first opportunity on the exaust side and you should have the right side.

Failing that, take some pics of what's there, post them up on the forum and the Mk4-fluent TDI-ers will be able to point you.

15. rocco2litre

rocco2litre Forum Junkie

i had 90k mile tdi egr and inlet off and it was as clean as a whistle...?
    does it mean your egr is malfunctioning if it is sucking in sh ite?

16. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

might be buggered, i've never seen a clean one yet

give vacumm on the pipe going to the control diapharm & seem it has resistance / valve moves

17. Steve B Forum Junkie

out of interest chris could you get all they way up inside your manifold to clean it or did you use some chemicals squirted inside ? i.e mr muscle

in this thread it also mentions problems with the breathers coating everything in oil, is this something i should be looking into ? where can i get a catch tank if so?

btw picked up my TDI only driven about 50m so far but really pleased with it [:D]

18. vrbanana Forum Junkie

Clean intake = ERG not working

I put a blanking plate in mine from new, intake should be lovely and clean

19. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I used a ring spanner head to reach up inside the tracts - and just dragged the gunk outwards. It is so thick, that fluids struggle to move it.

There was an article in VW Driver about 2-3 months back with a catch tank which had been got from somewhere. I'll update when I come across it. There's not the same urgency to do that mod, but do get the EGR blocked asap

20. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

a catch tank would also stop the intercooler from becoming an oil bath and hoses for the n75 thing getting blocked