clock exchange(speedo)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by DC75, Jan 16, 2010.

1. DC75

DC75 Forum Member

mk2 golf gti 8v digifant;
    i have a set of clocks with a speedo in it that matches the original milage to my car, problem is the speedo is in a binnacle with a twin pin set up and my car has a single pin set up, does anybody know if these clocks are the same and will go in each others binnacle? i dont want to pull these out without this knowledge cos ive already broken 2 speedo cables and have numerous scratches on my hands from my other car(anybody taken out and put in clocks will know what i mean).

2. nealey Forum Junkie

As long as the gearing numbers match up they will be ok to swap the speedos between the two

3. DC75

DC75 Forum Member

where do i find or how do i find the gearing numbers mate? the clocks i originally took out were 16v clocks and they never seemed to make sense, rev counter used to idle at 2200 and when i was doing 40 it felt more like 30!

4. nealey Forum Junkie

its printed on the clock face just under the bottom of the needle, off the top of my head i think its about 1340

5. DC75

DC75 Forum Member

ah ha, just found 1540 on the twin plug set will have to check other clocks in the morning, thanks alot Nealy.