Close call

Discussion in 'Ooooops!' started by Paul_TDi, Dec 2, 2007.

1. Paul_TDi Forum Member

Well I'm young drive fast and still learning how to control oversteer/understeer etc.

So going down one of my usual country lanes at night for a bit of fun, took the corner slightly faster than normal, got round it but then started to lose control and then the grass verge appeared....

[​IMG]

Driver side wheels were right on the edge of the verge going into the ditch, front was lifted up so much I had no traction on the wheels.

I called my dad who arrived in his focus to try and tow me out but no luck, so luckily at the end of this country lane one of my dads mates lives who just so happens to be a rally rescue team leader, having a fully kitted out defender.

So bit of sawing first....I had branches sticking in me arches! then he tugged me out without too much grief.

Damage at the moment seems to be un wanted mud on my belly, it's wet out there so can't see any scratches on the front.

Once it stops raining I'm going to take some piccies of where I landed!

2. TIM

Tim Forum Addict

lol your younge you will learn! lol we have all been there!

could have been a fair bit worse!

tim

3. Paul_TDi Forum Member

Some piccies of the corner, nice clear view of whos coming round the other side...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and where I landed

[​IMG]

Only damage is my engine tray has come loose again and there's some plastic trim near the exhaust which has bent backwards a bit.

4. Seraph Banned

Maybe save the Louis Hamilton impressions for the track!

5. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

not a bad lesson to learn, could have been much more expensive or painful.

*thumbs up smiley!*

6. Paul_TDi Forum Member

I definitely need a go on a track to get the racey needs out of me. I often go out and thrash the country roads.

Yep quite a lucky escape really, I saw where I first hit the grass verge when I went back there today, after i hit that i couldn't regain control.

7. joeb Forum Member

top tip. dont drive like a c**t:p ;)

8. leeroy8v Forum Member

i must say we all been there done that all that but i just started banger stox racing and must say dont feel the urge to cain my car on the road also have a big field were i can go and have a thrash round but before all this i used to think i was mansell on the road well a few years ago any way glad u were all ok tho and learnt a lesson lol

9. Aphex Forum Junkie

Or at the very least, saw it for a dry night :lol:

10. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

I span my car 360 on a roundabout at 2am in the morning, taking my mates gttdi on the outside, was convinced my mk3 could go round corners at any speed untill that day. Just glad I learnt my lesson without hurting anyone.....

Glad to see your ok and havent cost yourself a fortune either!!! result!

11. rocco2litre

rocco2litre Forum Junkie

go and do it in an old 100 mini
    not a decent car!
    we oldies learnt that at 17 up on epsom downs.
    those mk4's dont have much feedback, till its in the ditch

12. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Hope you`ve learnt your lesson. [:|]

Your not invincible and your cars not a racer. Proper car control only comes with experience and back road blasts should only be done in the right conditions (ie, not a wet road in the dark!) and when you`ve had enough time behind the wheel to understand your`s and your car`s limits.
    As others have suggested, get an old banger and do some track time first. :thumbup: