Clutch Questions, Mk2 VR6 Conversion.

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by mattingg, Oct 4, 2004.

1. mattingg Forum Member

A few questions about the clutch, I'm converting to Corrado VR6, have everything except the Clutch Master Cylinder at the moment, and haven't a clue how this goes...

Can you guys tell me what setup you used on your VR6 conversions?

I have the Corrado pedal cluster, not sure what the setup is on a Corrado VR6, does the Clutch MC has its own reservoir, or does it feed off the brake reservoir some how?

I've seen a VR6 reservior with two extra outlets, is this for the clutch, don't know if this was a corrado, golf or passat one, though, don't know if they have different setups or not. I know the golf pedal box needs to be modified to fit though.

If it feeds off the VR6 Brake reservior then do I need the Brake MC as well? I have a new 16v Master Cylinder, so don't really want to have to replace it.

Last but not least, do I need anything extra, like linkages to the pedal or something? Realise I'll need to get a brake line to the gearbox (Have that end of things) Does it screw straight up to the pedal box, if so, do I need to cut a big hole through the bulk head to attach, as it seems to have a bevel where it should go, and will net fit flat.

Hope you can help, its starting to bug me, I've been trying to find some decent photo's of the setup from the internet without success, any photos/diagrams you can point me in the direction of would be most appreciated.

2. Andy947 Forum Addict

Use the corrado pedal box - it fits striaght in - you need to modify the bulkhead a bit where the clutch cylinder fots it needs to be flattened and holes drilled for the cylinder - then it bolts up.

The brake reservoir has a take off for the clutch and its fed by a small pipe.

Go to a scrappy and have a look at any 90 ish passat (normall loads in scrapies) they use the same setup - and you can get any bits from them.

3. mattingg Forum Member

Thanks a lot, appreciate the input, guessed as much, needed it confirmed before I started bashing my car around, didn't realise all passats were hydrolic clutch, thought I was looking for VR6s or G60s! Assume the reservoirs are interchangable then... Cheers again.

Just out of interest, whats the setup on Mk2 Syncro's then, do they have the hydrolic clutch same as the Rallyes? do they have a different pedal box setup or bulk head?

4. Andy947 Forum Addict

rhd cars have cable clutch.

There is no specific rhd hydraulic pedal box :)

All rallyes are LHD ;)

Passats are a superb source of parts.

Many of the good parts from corrados etc are fitted as standard to even base model passats ;)

5. mattingg Forum Member

Have found a Corrado G60 Clutch Master Cylinder, just checking they inter changeable with the VR6?

6. Andy947 Forum Addict

7. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Could you use a mk3 VR master cylinder and servo on a mk2? What size are they if you can?

8. mattingg Forum Member

9. NormanCoal Forum Member

No, you cant use the MK3 servo, the end of it where it attaches to the pedal box thru the bulkead is wrong. The only way of using the larger 23.3mm master cylinder is to use a corrado VR brake servo. The end of the servo is correct for the pedal box, and the spacing of the bolts for the master cylinder is correct for the 23.3mm version