Coilover Dampening how do you decide how hard or soft

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by altern8, Mar 2, 2008.

1. altern8 Forum Junkie

Hey

I'm just fitting dampening adjustable coilovers to the mk5 but never owning a set of dampening adjustables I dont have a clue what to run them on?

So how hard or soft do you run yours? Whats the benfit of eaither and how do you know when its right?

Cheers
    Craig

2. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

ive not had adjustables until i got the mk2 at xmas. id thought about it a lot before as id always wanted a set. imo it is easier to detect under-damping, so i went from super soft and went from there, hardening it up until body movements were controled how i liked it, but went backwards when i felt it getting harsh

3. IanCarvell Forum Member

You want to keep them as soft as possible...it depends on where you are using them. I run then full soft on smooth circuits, then wind them up a little to avoid bouncing over bumps.

Dont get damping confused with stiffness though...dampers dont control the amount the suspension moves, they just control the rate at which they get to the maximum movement point.

4. altern8 Forum Junkie

ahh cheers :)

at the moment the car is bouncing everywhere, It will only be used on the road no track days in mind for the mk5 yet

5. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

what coilovers do you have?

i think you shuld start with soft and firm it up from there.

when you say bounce, is that an underdamped (magic carpet like) or over damped (just harsh over small bumped) type ride?

i bet adjustable dampers are a mare when you dont know where to start with the ride

6. altern8 Forum Junkie

I got gaz its more like a magic ccarpet hehe

7. altern8 Forum Junkie

I have gone from soft on the back to the hardest it will go lets see what thats like

8. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

on front wheel drive i've read it's better to have the rear harder than front, which is how i had my mk2[:D]

9. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

you need to read up about primary and secondary damping just to get an understanding of the basics.

primary is slow/low frequency movements, ie a dip on the motorway. the car sinks down. an underdamped car springs up and down a couple times before settling. with the right damping the car settles again almost instantly

the secondary damping. this is fast movements, ie crap tarmac or rumble strips. lots of movements for the dampers to control.

not enough compression damping and the ride can be crashy because it cant control the movement of the car/wheel.

its all voodoo, hence why id love a set to play with and tune till they are right.

id say start soft, front and back, and then go test the primary damping and wind it harder until the movement of the car is controlled properly. maybe for reference, go to full hard to see what the other extreme is like

gonna be a lot of playing i expect

10. altern8 Forum Junkie

I'll try the same drive tomow, but when I drove along the road I do every day to work It was so bouncy I was laughing like a girl :lol:

11. altern8 Forum Junkie

I have been faffing about with it for a few days now but its still very bouncy or a harsh ride :(

The FK kit I had on the lupo was hard but at least it was useable

12. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

has this gotten any better yet?

13. altern8 Forum Junkie

na not really I just learn to live with it but anyone else who gets in the car sayes how bumpy it is

14. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

so how much experimenting did you do with the dampening?

15. mk28vICED Forum Member

doesnt sound good. luckily mine is on the racecar so only has the handle well not be a comfy ride. :lol:
    not driven the car since they've been on though so dont know yet. [:s]

16. Hypermonkey Forum Member

Have to agree on the start off soft and get to the harder settings. I've got Avos on my Mk1 track car and on a circuit like Combe have the fronts set to just over half and the rears to half and that is well stiff enough. On the road I have the fronts at 1/4 and the rears at 1/4 so you can see how a little adjustment goes a long way. You may have to experiment with 1/4 turns of the adjuster as opposed to 1s and 2s:)

17. seanlazyass Forum Member

If its bouncing over bumps and not settling quick enough your damping is too soft.

18. altern8 Forum Junkie

I have set it somewhere in themiddle but the bumps give a big thump when i go over a pothole

19. seanlazyass Forum Member

Sorry mate, but you are going to have to be a bit more descriptive than that!

With my FK's if i have them on fully soft they bounce and take a while to settle over bumps. Particularly noticeable over motorway undulations. Which meant they were underdamped, half a turn or so and the bouncing was curred.

Set halfway they should not be underdamped. Is the thump not just due to the stiffer springs and ride?