coilover options for my track car

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by steve r, Apr 30, 2005.

1. steve r

steve r Forum Member

my rear suspension has been playing up recently, every time i go over a small bump/pothole/drain cover etc there is a loud bang/thump from the rear of the car. its perfect on a smooth road or track but unbearable to drive on normal roads.

i'm running avo coilovers with 250lbs rear springs so not really that highly rated.

i check tightened all the bolts at the rear which made no difference so today fitted a set of normal style mk2 gti rear shocks and took the car for a drive, the noise has completely gone and the car now enjoyable to drive on the road again.

so now i can either send the rears back to AVO for a rebuild to hopefully solve the problem or invest in a new better quality set for the car as i've never really been that happy with them.

been looking at a few options:

koni
    FK's
    H&R
    weitec

any reccomendations (must be a realistic price so no leda, KW variant 3 etc)

would be nice if possible to buy the coilovers without springs as i bought some 350 and 250lbs springs for my avo's that i'd like to use again.

2. chrismc Forum Junkie

Konis are ideal...

The suspension has to be one of the best points of my car.

3. Dub20vt Forum Member

think you've covered most of the options tbh [:s]

4. steve r

steve r Forum Member

are you using the std springs that come with the road kit? any idea what poundage they are?

5. chrismc Forum Junkie

Yeah standard road kit! No idea on the poundage, but the damping is adjustable to suit the roughest roads or a billiard smooth track..

More than up to the job on my car anyhow :)

6. steved Forum Member

That loud bang is shot rear beam mounts

7. steve r

steve r Forum Member

my car has powerflex rear beam bushes fitted so they should be ok but will take another look.

8. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

i can highly reccomend the fk konigsports :thumbup:

neil. :)

9. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Anyone ever tried GAZ shocks? Local guy that races short ovals has been trying some, he said they're a good value for money shock, ok not as good as the Koni's he's been using but you get what you pay for as with everything.

10. loadsavalves

loadsavalves Forum Member

my FK konigsports have been on my mk2 for about 2 1/2 years now and still work perfectly with both road and track use.

11. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Mine are fecked :lol: Front is so bouncy now [:^(] Guy I know who races, has a man that rebuilds Konis so I might give him a call to see if I can source some inserts for them.

12. Dub Nutta Forum Member

I'm gona give the Gaz coilover kit a go for my mk1 i think, unless anything tempts me at international that is. Spoke to the technical guy and they can supply the springs you want and valve them depending on what you are using the for. Adjustment is a 3:1 rebound and bound damping. Gota be worth a try 4 the cash, luke from TRC has just done a review on them and seems to think they are good.

13. Carl S Forum Member

fk konigsports, good on track, but a bit harsh on the road, even on the softest damper settings.