Coilovers: How do I set them up?

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by ManicGTI, Oct 24, 2003.

1. Enigmatik33 Forum Member

look like supersports to me, even the description, red springs and anodised gold sounds like supersports, either way he didn't pay for them so always a bonus :)

2. dusty_mauve Forum Member

99% sure they are supersports, what do they taste like ;) [:o)]

3. Polo Classic Forum Member

From the supersport website
    [​IMG]

4. dUff

dUff Administrator Admin

So any ideas on how to setup rebound adjustment on coilovers , i reckon i have done the rest but i have no great ideas on how to do this. I reckon i will only want to change it ion the back to cut down on oversteer and bump steer [:s]

5. Polo Classic Forum Member

Changing rebound won't affect bumpsteer, you either have to move the suspension pick-up points or increase ride height.

6. dUff

dUff Administrator Admin

So is bump steer when it hits the bump stops?? i thought it was when the car is being pushed very hard around a corner and shocks are hard tyres gripping and the backend hops very slightly

7. Polo Classic Forum Member

Bumpsteer is when the tca moves in such a way when hitting a bum, that the car changes direction. I'm not good at explaining it in English. I has got to do with the different arches (not wheel arches) the suspension components moves.

Lets say you drive along and one of the wheels hits a bump and that leads to the steering wheel turning by itself. I get that alot on my Polo when lowering more than 60 mm

8. ManicGTI Forum Member

Thanks for the help guys, guess they're supersports then!Well..what a brucey bonus. Supersports any good?

At the moment i've hiked up the rear to stop scrappage, it was handlinge like a damn go kart before I did. Having said that, its not too shoddy now, but havent pushed it for a bit due to shedloads of work and the fact I havent sorted my coolant loss (see engine section) problem. Oh and I really need to bleed the brakes before I crap/kill myself.

I assume this means it just a matter of changin height to my tastes then, no damping adjustability.

9. binliner Forum Member

If the camber adjustment is the same as a mk3 ie 2 bolts at the
    bottom of the strut then it doesnt need adjusting each time you
    raise or lower them... you dont touch these bolts and changing
    the height doesnt affect the camber of the wheel.

10. Jeff Forum Junkie

changine the height would affect the cambe of the wheel though, I thought? the way the camber changes as the wheel moves upwards? so lowering it means the wheel is resting in a different position on the suspension travel and is therefore at a different camber, therefore youd have to adjust the two bolts to compensate and put it back to where it was at rest! Am I right, someone?

11. Rahul Forum Junkie

i think ur right!

12. paulgti16v Forum Member

you are right jeff ! [:D] [:*:]

13. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Definitely, the lower you go the more negative camber you get (if the strut to bearing housing position is left alone).

14. ManicGTI Forum Member

i'm going to fit new bottom mount bolts anyway, at MOT the bloke had to tighten a few of them up (they werent hand loose, but werent tight enough, so wheels had some movement), adviseing i change them at some point. They're fine, but don't look like they werent changed when the coilovers were fitted.

So many random jobs to do!

Dave