Cold start / fifth injector not opening

Discussion in '8-valve' started by Cressa, Sep 7, 2022.

1. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Just got the injectors back from cleaning and testing. 4 all good, the fifth injector is Kaput apparently. So I came home, put 12v across and tried to blow through it, Nothing.
    Has anyone ever managed to take one of these apart or is that impossible?
    Or am I testing it wrong...
    Then I need to find a working one
    Feel free to shout up if you have a spare that I can send for cleaning/testing

Attached Files:

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

You'd need high pressure to lift the pintle off the seat I'd imagine. 35 psi minimum at a guess.

3. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

I will give it a try

4. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

I've not got as far as the MK1's cold starter valve yet, but did read this recently and it struck a chord.

Just had a look and my own 5th injector is the same part numbers as yours, so should be applicable.

The way this guy writes works for me and I'm able to follow what he says much more easily than when the same thing's talked about elsewhere.

A cut'n'paste, but probably better read the complete 3 x articles (and interesting/useful anyhow) -

https://tasteslikepetrol.net/2020/02/bosch-k-jetronic-part-2-testing/

'Test the Cold Start Injector. This is done by removing the injector from the manifold, and directing its nozzle into a container. Now, connect the power connector from the Aux Air Device to the Cold Start Injector and turn the ignition ON and run the fuel pump. This should cause power to open the injector and spray fuel. Now disconnect the power from the injector and wipe the nozzle dry. Hold the injector, with the ignition and pump ON, in the container for 60 seconds and observe it for any leaking. Shut off ignition and pump, and if it is still dry, it has passed the test.'

Obviously this method requires it to be done on a working engine, but I'd imagine you could mock up something to feed / power it off the car?

Again, wait 'til RJ keeps us right!

Last edited: Sep 8, 2022
  5. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Update. I sprayed some carb cleaner inside and left it. Tried 12v to it today and it clicked.... with 12v applied i could blow through the injector.
    So i mocked up a test rig of hose from the carb cleaner nozzle can to the injector, gave it a squirt and with 12v it came out in a lovely conical spray pattern
    Isaac thanks for the test above as I now know this works fine.
    I hope that may help someone else 20220910_144146.jpg 20220910_144146.jpg

6. Tristan

Is it shutting off instantly, no drips, when you disconnect the current?

7. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Absolutely perfect shut off. I have tried forcing pressure through, but shut is shut thankfully

8. Tristan

Excellent, good result