Compbrake Top mounts

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by MK1-Tron, May 6, 2010.

1. MK1-Tron

MK1-Tron Forum Member

I have Compbrake adjustable top mounts for my MK1 16v Golf Track day / sprint car but i am unsure how to position them, what holes = camber/castor and what is a good starting point? The car will be driven on the road also but not daily. Any advice? [​IMG][/IMG]

2. MK1-Tron

MK1-Tron Forum Member

Mods - Can this be moved to Track prep as it may get more takers there. Thanks :-)

3. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

I don't think theres any fast rule which it the right position, as you know cambers adjustable at the bottom

generally setting them to the rear is going to produce more caster, which it good
    trail and error in driving, with some form of measuring your angles for reference points

4. Mike_H Forum Addict

I've got mine at the rear to maximise castor (Scirocco Mk2) - which was based on advice from various knowledgeable motorsport types. I've got about 1* negative camber. Haven't had a chance to try it out properly yet, but the turn-in feels a lot sharper. The car has had a cage fitted at the same time though.

5. jettadan Forum Member

Had mine fitted to the rear and inside, so maximise caster and camber. Just a case of turning them until you get the right spot.

6. MK1-Tron

MK1-Tron Forum Member

Thanks guys, i have put them on today rear and inside simlar to Jettadan, When i get it all set up properly i will try to plot the settings in relation to holes used.

Thanks again for the above at least i know i am in the right ball park.

7. CES

ces New Member

right , in "clear" the angle of the front wheel (fitted to the rear) ,are great for the grip and the return of the steering .

8. Billb Forum Member

If you look under your bonnet, the right one (from the face, left on the car) on the picture must have about the position you see.

9. madasafish100

madasafish100 Forum Member

Im thinking of getting some of these for my mk1 golf. How do you set them up at the strut end though? is it a case of set the castor you require and get camber adjusted with the bolts on the strut at an alignment place to what you require?

10. jamesa Forum Junkie

INFO

Hillclimb / Sprint set up - 5`positive caster and 1` / 1.5`? negative camber

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. madasafish100

so im guessing that the camber is still adjusted by the camber bolts at the bottom of the strut, and the mounts just off sest the strut enough to be able to gain more static negative camber than is possible with a normal top mount?

12. jamesa Forum Junkie

Aye ...

13. madasafish100

Sweeeeeet, cheers james :thumbup:

14. mickey marrows Forum Member

You don't have a fixed strut (like a mk1 Polo for instance) so eccentric top mounts don't alter your camber per se, they alter your Theoretical Kingpin Inclination.. therefore altering the scrub (pivot angle radius)

Obviously once set they can be used to alter camber, but doing it that way thier nature means increasing camber reduces caster at the same time, which on track isn't always desireable..;)

The ability to increase the TKI is useful though if you're using high offset wheels (because of scrub)

Personally I set them to the back, with "2 holes" of increased TKI (to compensate for dropped ball joints), then set the camber at the upright..

Last edited: Dec 24, 2010
  15. jamesa Forum Junkie

Thanks ... do you have a diagram to show the TKI interface ?

16. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

As said already, don't alter the camber from the top. Push them back for more castor and adjust the camber from the bottom of the strut. :thumbup:

Gurds

17. mickey marrows Forum Member

18. jamesa Forum Junkie

Thanks again ..