Converting Pierburg 1B from auto to manual choke

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by Volks42, Jun 9, 2022.

1. Volks42 Forum Member

So, I've sourced a 1B manual choke but found it won't fit without modification as the choke direction would be wrong. (Push to close and pull to open) also would need to change the stepped cam for the fast idle.

I've looked at getting an aftermarket conversion kit to fit in the place of the autochoke element, bit not sure what to do with the stepped cam for the fast idle. If I remove it, the idle will be up the spout and too fast.

If I leave it on, it could work, except I'd need to open the throttle to release the fast idle scree, so I could adjust the choke position manually.

Anyone done this before or got any ideas? I'd fit a Webber except they're rare and I don't have the exhaust manifold to match!

2. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

I've got an engine in the shed that is a 1.6 1991 with original carb and a manual choke conversion.
    I can get photos tomorrow if that's any help to you?

3. Volks42 Forum Member

That would be fantastic, thank you so much! Would love pictures of the manual choke housing specifically and the fast idle stop If it has one.

4. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

20220610_103401.jpg 20220610_103415.jpg 20220610_103423.jpg 20220610_103346.jpg
    Hope they make sense, quick grab as on way out.
    Choke cable clamps at thumb, connect at finger.
    Car was auto so accelerator has a rod at carb off the cable. And last one is of other side of carb.

5. Volks42 Forum Member

dodgy likes this.