Coolant light mk2 8v

Discussion in '8-valve' started by VRSteve, Feb 1, 2009.

1. VRSteve Forum Member

no i dont have the early relay, will do voltage stablilizer later and if not hunt for some clocks.

can the speedo be changed in the clocks so i can keep m milage??

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yeah its pretty straight forward to swap over :)

3. eddiet Forum Member

I've had this problem on mine and have just found a relay numbered 43. Pulled it out and the light finally stopped flashing!
    Any ideas where I can get a new relay?
    Thanks

4. rubjonny

what you have proven is the temp gauge, sensor and wiring are ok since I take it the gauge still works? If so either the relay is at fault or the wiring to the level sensor, or the level sensor itself.

VW isnt that expensive:
    191 919 376 A - 14.26+VAT

I think thats the number, double check it against the part number on the relay. Though the relay number may have been replaced, if its different post it up and I'll double check :)

If you suspect the coolant level sensor wiring is shafted, refit the relay and earth pin 2 (relay pin S) this should stop the light flashing

5. eddiet Forum Member

Thanks, I'll check out the wiring. VW have stopped producing the relay and apparently they don't have any left [:x]

6. WillG

WillG Forum Member

My coolant light used to flash when I had the old motometer clocks in (I replaced for vdo and no more problem) but I never used to have the fan come on too.

7. rubjonny

ah. if the gauge still works i'd just leave it off if it turns out the relay is at fault, just keep an eye on your coolant level! if the heaters blow cold thatys a sign of low coolant, its how I kneww i needed to top up the water in my old driver :lol:

8. eddiet Forum Member

Fair enough - I've left it out for a couple of days now. I'd forgotten what it was like to drive without a blinking red light on the dash - gets annoying after a while!

9. bamba.paul Forum Member

i have a 91 gti too that does the same , temp light flashes when stuck in traffic, when the fan comes on i guess , if the voltage stabilser is at fault should the fault be reproduced when other high loads are switched on eg heated rear window / main beam ???
    i wondered if an increase in coolant flow in the header tank some how unseated the float ???
    never caused any problems but my 92 gti doesnt do it

10. gingergaz Forum Member

OK. I've got same problem in that my coolant level warning light won't stop flashing even though i've got a full bottle etc. recently replaced expansion tanks for a nice clean one with a new lid - GSF, and also a Neuspeed Fan switch sensor and thermostat. keeps it nice and cool all the time, especially in traffic but how can I get rid of the blinking light. from what I've read it's prob a wiring fault although I'm no electrical expert so if anyone can give me laymans terms to help me check it out - pictorial guides even better ;) , and also point me in the direction of the coolant level sensor cos I ordered one of these but it doesn't look like I expected but maybe i'm looking at wrong bit to replace and Mr Haynes doesn't give any indication.

thanks in advance