cordoba frame in golf?

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by hellabroke, Jul 15, 2014.

1. hellabroke New Member

Hello to all!

First post!

New to Europe and most european cars... most of our VW's are made in mexico.. ;) (From Washington State)

I picked up a 1989 1.3 mk2 golf (CE1) because it cost me just under $500 USD and the body/interior are pretty much perfect asside from one fender.

Looking to pick up a 1998 SEAT Cordoba 1.9 TD wit 85k (unsure if its a td or tdi havent put eyes on it just yet...) Its been hit on the back left side pretty bad...

Will at cordoba front subframe bolt into a mk2 golf? The car looks to me like it sits on a mk3 platform... I know a mk3 golf subframe with bolt into a mk2... Has this been done? can anyone post any links to similar builds??

As long as the subframe bolts in i will probably rip just about everything out of the golf and put the whole cordoba electrical and powertrain into the golf. ( I can export a 25+ year old car to the US without any hastle when I leave here.) Plus a TDI in the states will run me $2k or more in just parts or wrecked car

Any points or leads in the right direction would be greatly apprichated.
    looking forward to reading some good build threads.

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yes the subframe will swap, its running a mk3 golf subframe with mk2 wishbones and shafts :)

cordoba is a bit of a weird mongrel, back half is mostly polo based with a mix of mk2/3 and polo up front :lol:

you might find its easier to convert your car to CE2 using mk2 golf parts mostly, just use the SEAT engine loom as its a bit different inside. Depends on how good you are with wiring :)

3. hellabroke New Member

Awesome. Thank you for the reply and conformation. I am not afraid of wiring by any means (though I haven't tore apart a SEAT yet). MK2 Golf's and their parts for whatever reason are ridiculously expensive down here (aside from 1.3 equipped CE1 cars...) I will salvage what i can. If worse comes to worse i have a few friends in the states that may owe me big enough favors to send out a fuse box and harness...

Anyone have any useful information that would pertain to a swap along these lines?

Thanks in advance.

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

alright cool, did you want to run the cordoba stalks or keep mk2? same goes for dash? The basic car is roughly the same shape so the loom will lay out pretty well, only thing im not sure of is where the holes are for the engine loom and where the fusebox is ive seen some SEAT looms with the fusebox in the middle of the car!

only thing to watch out for wiring wise is seat like to mix up the wire colours a bit, so be sure to check diagrams and my fusebox faq if in doubt. most of it is as per vw but some ransdom wires will be odd colours SEAT use green wire for ecu diagnostics rather than vw grey/white for example. The CE2 fusebox wont fit the ce1 mk2 carrier so that will need modification or a ce2 mk2 carrier sourced, same goes for cordoba ce2 stalks and ignition lock as column tube mounting lug different spot on ce2 but you could splice old stalk plugs on or mod the tube. maybe top half of SEAT tube fit mk2 lower half, I was running an ibiza tilt column upper half on my mk2 its basically same as mk2 tilt I just had to swap the lower tube section from my mk2 over to fit the pedal box

engien swap itself is same as mk3/passat diesel into a mk2, drop it in drain as much fuel oput as poss and plumb in the diesel lines etc. the cordoba tank is totally different but iirc it doesnt use a lifter pump on these engines so the old mk2 stuff is fine. worst case equivalent mk3 diesel would be a donor for the tank and lines if you need them, then the cordoba pump would fit the mk3 tank if it has one but as i say pretty sure they dont.

sicne its got mk2 wishbones it'll all bolt straight on, use whatever wishboens are best keep the roll bar etc from the seat and job done. rear beam is no good but rear disc setup will swap over if it has it, just need to fit a bias valve to your car of some kind. an aftermarket rear roll bar could just be bolted on, or find a mk2/3 gti beam (this will have bias valve you need on it as well)