Corrado - ABF conversion

Discussion in 'Corrado' started by squidlegs, Jan 13, 2012.

1. squidlegs Forum Member

Is putting an ABF into a corrado the same deal as putting one into a mk2? As in, can I follow the guides on mk2 conversions, just applied to a corrado?

2. jonlikescad Forum Member

depends what year your C is. I'd recommend asking on the Corrado Forum as there's def people over there that have done it.

@Mods, hope this is ok.

Jon.

3. squidlegs Forum Member

I havent bought it yet but if I do it's a g reg, so 1989/90.

I have asked on the corrado forum, but not yet had a definative answer.

It's a KR engine in there atm. I plan on getting an ABF and supercharging it running a programmable ecu, if I do that, will it not matter as to what platform I put the engine in anyway? As the loom and ecu will be independant.

Does the ABF use the same engine mounts as the kr? I plan on using the same gearbox to save converting the gear shift etc

4. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Don't think the gearbox will last with the extra torque.

5. squidlegs Forum Member

Are there major differences between the 020 and 02A/J?

6. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

err...they all run 02As.

1.8 16v = AGC or AYH.

The procedure is very similar to the How to ABF your MK2 if you are dealing with a head and block swap.

Antinkariba did a conversion after his old KR spat its guts out.

7. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Oops. Thought it was 9a and g60 only. [:$]

8. squidlegs Forum Member

So,

If I'm using say, megasquirt, the guide on converting a mk2 to ABF using megasquirt would be applied here also?

Does the ABF use the same engine mounts as the short block KR?

Is the KR corrado cable shift anyway, or still rod change on the smaller engines?

Thanks for the answers so far :thumbup:

9. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

corrado is 99% mk2 golf so it all applies, it has a cable shift 02a box as toyotec said all manual corrados did :thumbup:

you will need to put the kr brackets onto the abf block, unless you fit a mk3 golf subframe. 4pot corrado uses G60 mk2 engine mounts, VR6 is all MK3 VR6 Golf up front.

you can just drop it in on the kr stuff for now then go megasquirt later, depends on how long you want it off the road

10. squidlegs Forum Member

The plan going on in my head is to build the engine along with megasquirt off the car, following the megasquirt how-to then take the rado off the road for a few months while cleaning up the bay and methodically putting the engine in and trying to make it look a but snazzy.

Got a few helpful people so I can get hold of custom fuel rails/boost pies/brackets etc. so I want to make the best of it with what's available to me.

When using megasquirt is there any need for any of the original engine loom from the mk3?

Cheers guys, I know these questions must've been asked before but I'm useless at the search function.

How reliable is megasquirt? As reliable as you make it?

Edit - mmmmm boost pies! :lol:

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  11. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

I think you should learn to master the search function if you want to get anywhere with MS. I takes a bit of research. ;)

12. rubjonny

with the loom, it depends! you can make it all from scratch with new plugs if you want, they're mostly available from places like polevolt.co.uk or vw. if you have the abf loom you can use it to base your megasquirt routing on if you like. personally i would use the mk3 loom and retain the round connector on the engine to make it easier to take the engien out in future, but theres no reason that you need an abf loom specifically. the ms loom plug usually has stacks of cable on it, particularly the new ones that toyotec supplies with his ecu theres enough length to make a complete new loom up without any soldering if you like

13. squidlegs Forum Member

So for this conversion, there's no need for a "donor car" at all? It really is just the engine that I need. Then other things like the round mk3 engine plug can be got afterwards for instance? As everything else will be "custom" (I use that loosely!)

Just a side thought on this project, with the expected power of around 220(?)hp Would that be matched well to any of the 6 speed gearboxes in use by VW atm? And, most importantly, do they fit onto the block?

14. rubjonny

nope no need for you as you have pretty much everything you need already, just a case of make an engine loom and either weld a lambda bung to your downpipe or swap it for mk3 downpipe + cat bypass.

your fuel pump is kjet item whish is pretty much the best you can get, apart from the bosch 44 motorsport pump so that'll be fine for loads more power. already have strong 02a and hydro clutch, job done

15. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

It is the sudden torque of 200lbft by 2000rpm, as I have seen on the GS dyno or so would influence the choice of gearbox.
    Those 02S units are geared much shorter than the older 02A/J units due to running on underpowered and heavy vehicles with big wheels. I would stay clear.

16. squidlegs Forum Member

:thumbup: cheers again guys.

It's good having a place full of knowledgable people!