Corrado central locking question ?

Discussion in 'Corrado' started by watercooled, Aug 21, 2021.

1. watercooled Forum Member

Can anyone point me towards a repair/test guide for the system on here ?.
    I have the drivers side door handle out of the car awaiting repair kit for handle latch ,plug from handle is 3 pin and the wire colours are black,brown and red,as my handle won't activate the switch in the handle due to the broken latch I would like to know what colour wires I need to jumper to activate the pump on the male end of the plug.
    I suspect the pump isn't working and hasn't done for some time even before I bought it, I have checked the fuse and its ok so need a way to test it,Cheers.

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

black is perm live from the cl fuse, so probe that on the door harness to start with. then this wire is shorted to each of the other pins for lock and unlock. not sure which is which, but looking at diagram red goes to red/yellow in the cl harness which is the same colour as the total closure wire on the window module so would assume red is lock and brown is unlock

3. watercooled Forum Member

Yes mate you were spot on with the wiring tips thanks,tested it and pump runs but no actuators working,found drivers side door and tailgate ones disconnected from vacuum lines !!!! ??.
    Reconnected them and to no full result,traced back wiring in drivers door and found more hacked wires that were tapped into for alarm ,repaired them and bingo...now have both doors ,tailgate and fuel flap locking,movement is somewhat lazy so plan to strip and clean door latch assemblies as I have done with all the mk2's I have owned,they get really gummed up over the years and tends to overload the actuators vacuum or electric or break old door handles.
    Not really convinced the drivers door actuating switch is up to it,think this has been the problem all along ?,worst case is buy a new passat CL type handle and swap over parts as required.
    Good day and results ,cheers.

4. rubjonny

nice work, soon have it sorted then :)

5. watercooled Forum Member

Thanks mate ,I would say yes but not so,drivers handle has a break on the handle switch,one bad wire but with the jumper wire all is good on the supply ,managed to find a new complete Passat handle locally, hope to mix and match a solution as this handle 3 pin switch is long NLA.
    LH side is functioning on the actuator but was disconnected @ handle wiring ,the pins were ripped out of the 3 pin connector , plugged back in the key in the handle appears to be as normal...why I don't know ??,this car has a full service history but I tend to question so called experienced folks who have done this work.
    Found electric mirror's were non functional and LH white plug not connected ?,plugged back in and only a click of the relay so as per my non working horns I suspect another broken wire on the output side of the relay .
    Still making progress but this car is a mission wiring wise, no question !!.
    Cheers.

6. watercooled Forum Member

The saga continues,found another butchered wire in drivers door....thought that job was done !!!,door handle now functioning as it should via key.
    I now have another issue,the tailgate is no longer locking,removed the actuator and found it tested good and holds vacuum however it can't overcome resistance of the latch detent,thinking maybe the pump is a little tired ?.
    Removed the key latch and checked the control lever and it was rather tight so removed the detent spring and ball bearing...seems to work fine without it but yet to test,a further issue (another one :( ) is the key won't fit the lock to turn it.
    I'am thinking the door lock barrels have been changed but not this one as its a real oddball,might just remove the lock barrel and see whats going on.
    Will report back cheers.

7. watercooled Forum Member

One step forward and sometimes two back !!!,lock barrel for the t/gate is fine just won't work with any keys I have ,mucked around with segments and can get it to lock but key won't come out :(.
    The whole lock assembly is a total bitch to get in and out due to the tailgate being very busy inside due to spoiler operating gear etc,I may go on to another job as this is doing my head in....research then regroup later eh !!.

8. watercooled Forum Member

Well I couldn't leave it alone so pulled the lock again and did a mongrel and just pulled all the segments out and bingo now working on any key with the car lol...not the best solution but it works.
    Central locking now working as the manual latch rod was out of adjustment as I screwed that up :) .

9. watercooled Forum Member

My next mission was to sort the wiring for the door handles,when the car was repainted some monkey refitted the wires so the windows were doing there best to chew the wires up,this would explain why the contacts on the LH side were ripped out of the plug.
    Removed the LH handle and found the 3 wires damaged @ the handle end,just had enough length to cut the back resolder and fit heat shrink.
    Mucked around with several different routes for these wires till I found the original placement,so in summary my issues are now gone and all is functioning fine....certainly some hours spent on this job !!!.

10. rubjonny

nice work :)