Corrado r32 running Emerald, what is required to switch to OEM ECU?

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by KVW1988, Oct 6, 2023.

1. KVW1988 New Member

Hi,

My R32 corrado is running emerald and has the MK4 engine. It runs quite rough and I want to switch to the OEM ECU and set up for refinement and mpg as I have no interest in going turbo etc.

What would I need to do?

My thoughts are that I would need to switch to the electronic pedal and throttle, install a MAF and swap to the OEM ecu. I'm not sure about any other sensors.

I'm not too technical but manage most things so a detailed explanation would be really helpful.. thanks.

2. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

I appreciate this doesn’t answer your question but have you taken the car to someone who can tune Emerald and achieve what you are looking for without all the changes?
    Where are you based?

3. KVW1988 New Member

Thanks Phil, I'm in East London. I've been reading around and it seems without the MAF, electronic throttle and O2 sensors etc, it will will never run as good as the standard engine management. Emerald want £450 minimum to tune the car, so it seemed a waste of money if it wouldnt achieve much.

4. Mk2daz

Mk2daz Paid Member Paid Member

The Emerald probably just needs setup correctly, they are great little ECUs so I wouldn't part with it just yet.

Which model of Emerald ECU is it?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2023
  5. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

Give Aaron a call at HT Racing. He is just behind Brands Hatch, has a rolling road and is a genius with all things car.
    Really, it’s not just a case of adding the hardware, you are likely to need quite a bit of loom work too.
    I Megasquirted my 911 and with proper tuning on a rolling road it ran way better than standard. Admittedly it didn’t have an ECU originally but also it didn’t have MAF, just TPS, vacuum, air temp and engine temp.

6. KVW1988 New Member

I believe it's the K6 model. I was concerned that the emerald K6 loses the ability to use the vvt etc. My thoughts were that the r32 engine is too advanced for the basic functionality of the emerald. But I'm no expert.

7. Mk2daz

Mk2daz Paid Member Paid Member

I'm sure it will handle 6cyl and VVT no bother.

If you are on facebook I'd reccomend joining the group called 'Emerald ECU tuning tips and advice' and pop a question on there

There is a chap on there called John that is truly a wizard with Emerald stuff, not to mention the guys at Emerald themselves too, very helpful. I'm running a K6+ in my RWD 20vt Scirocco and whilst I havn't properly driven it yet as its not fully finished I have high hopes for the ECU going forward.

I reckon it just needs a couple hours on the rollers to set it up, might just be a better option than swapping out pedals, looms, ecu's etc. Plus you can't beat the response from an old skool cable throttle!

Skool likes this.
  8. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

I tune most incarnations of the EA390 engine.

I have tuned several 3.2 engines on Emeralds for one of the dealers in Swanscombe VW Enterprises.

Now before folks like myself really dug into the logic of the ME7.1.1 ECU, the solution was to run a SEM like Emerald on such engines, with or without Egas.
    They have become a bit more refined with VVT controls and also manifold flap controls. With enough time, you can control the engine to have respectable drivability as well as cold starting and so on.
    Full load power will be no different to a good running and tuned ME7.1.1. But it takes a lot of time as you have less features than an OE Bosch ECU.

Now if the Emerald you are running is an Egas K6 Plus with the adaptor, you can return the car to an ME7.1.1 ECU, but you will have tweaks to implement the OE MAF and Egas throttle and pedal. The ECU must be a 022906032CP for a BFH engine or it can be a 022906032DP/FA 8NTT ECU with software changes to match a BFH engine.

So in this case, you can either keep the emerald and get it tuned properly which is not a problem as it is or take the hassle of returning the engine to a ME7.1.1 ECU.

With most 2.8 and 3.2 24v engines, I tend to steer folk in the direction of a OE ECU. But if you have an Emerald already fitted, providing it is not old, then I would suggest you stick with it.

afbiker02, KVW1988 and PhilRyder like this.
  9. Skool New Member

@Toyotec I didn’t realise Darren’s moved out East! How longs he been there? Nice unit?

10. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Fairly large unit with 3 ramps etc.
    He moved this year.
    Best thing he ever done to be fair.

Skool likes this.