Corrado rear quarter windows

Discussion in 'Corrado' started by -Hox-, Mar 22, 2007.

1. -Hox- Forum Member

Hey all, does anyone know how to get the rear quarter windows out of a Corrado without smashing them!? I've seen a few bonded glass tools on the market, but raddo windows look like a right pain in the ar$e to get out!

Cheers for any help!!

2. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

just done both of mine.

those tools are pretty crap, I spent 40 on a kit and barely made use of any of it.

I bought a retractable knife (the type where you snap off the end of the blade when they are blunt). working from inside the car just keep cutting the sealant around the window until the blade gets so deep in it starts to stick.

You then need to lever the glass out slightly in order to get the balde in deeper. just keep at it and keep slitting away until you get right through the sealant.

eventually you will be able to prise the glass away from the car and get the knife in from the outside.

the only bit you cant' get at with the knife is the bit right in the back corner. for this I had to have a helper hold the glass as I cut the last bit of the sealant away using the cutting wire in the kit.

Got one window out ok, smashed the other as it has a chip in it and it shattered when I pulled on the glass. if there's no chips the glass is really strong, you'll be surprised how rough you can be with it.

don't cut the seal at all, as it's bonded to the glass and has to be replaced as a whole unit, I think they are about 300.

3. -Hox- Forum Member

300 - blimey!! Cheers mate, big help... I nearly parted with about that much for a kit too!

I'll be off to the craft shop to get several knives this weekend then! How long did it take you roughly?!

4. b19prm New Member

at work we use somethng called cheese wire wrap it round the outside then poke it in and wire it out this saves the trim dont pull the glass out to much when cutting it out as flex in the glass can blow it and make sure you get a proper company to put it back in with the correct primers and stuff

5. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

3 hours to do each one.

6. -Hox- Forum Member

Blimey. Haha! I had a go the other day and it's coming along, there MUST be a quicker way though!!

7. -Hox- Forum Member

As it's winter, I'm looking to store up my Corrado and get the rear quarter windows out (eventually!)... does anyone have any bright ideas, other than the ones above?! I've tried tem both and it's taking a loooooooooooong time!