Correct camber and toe settings?

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by highdensityno1, Dec 7, 2004.

1. highdensityno1 New Member

Mk3 Gti 8V. 205/17/40 tyres+wheels.
    Koni dampers + Eibach springs.

I've recently had it set up with the laser alignment jobbie but it doesn't feel as stable as i think it should.
    Does anyone know what the best settings are?
    These are the current camber and toe settings.
    Currently:-

Left Front FrontRight Front
    Camber -0.52 0.00Camber -0.19
    Castor 3.24Total ToeCastor 3.12
    Toe0.00&nbsp ;&nbsp ;Toe 0.00
    Steer Ahead

Left Rear Right Rear
    Camber -1.15Camber -1.04
    Toe0.15&nbsp ;Toe 0.21

Thanks.
    Pete.

Edited by: highdensityno1

2. simontwithers Forum Member

sounds almost spot on to me.

The unstable feeling will be coming from the reduced castor due to lowering the car. Standard castor angle is 7.something, cant remember off hand and is now 3.24.

the castor is the angle that the hub leans backwards at the top \ . this is what makes the car stable in a straight line and also what makes the car straighten up as you let go of the steering wheel when driving.

hope this helps

ps unfortunatly the castor is not adjustable on the Mk3. the way round this is adjustable topmounts

3. Golden Forum Junkie

I'm not suprised, although the R/H/S is probably on the edge of book spec it's way to far positive.

You should be looking at both sides being more like -0.6 or -0.7 at least. They are also pushing book spec on the difference between sides, their should be a maximum of .5 difference between sides but that's a maximum.

The rest of it looks fine.

You may have trouble getting them to redo this free of charge as although it's a not very accurate job, it is all around book spec.

4. DEX

Dex Paid Member Paid Member

i would want to be running at least 1 degree negative camber on a road car - with zero toe

5. highdensityno1 New Member

called them up and as you pointed out, its as it should be according to book spec.
    What do you guys run yours on?
    And is it worth getting adjustable topmounts?

Checked the tyre pressures to see if anything was out of the ordinary. Front 28psi, rear 24psi.
    Right? or pooe?

6. Andy947 Forum Addict

i run 30psi front 28psi rear, sometimes 32/30 :)

7. highdensityno1 New Member

but youve got a mk2. mines a mk3

8. Golden Forum Junkie

If it's any help mate I'm running mine at 1.25 neg on the camber and zero toe.

9. AndrewF Forum Addict

and thats on a mkII...a mkIII needs more IMO cause its a bigger car.

why's the right front only 0.1/2 and the left front 0.5? the o.e. settings are 0.5 and the tolerance is 0.2...its out of tollerance.

anyway, with standard settings even my mum would wear the outside edges of the tyres out.

i run 2.1 degs on my vr6, but i'd suggest between 1 and 1.5 for most people.

take it back and get it done properly, this time make sure the fronts are both the same camber.

10. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Yeh seems a bit lazy to me, when I had mine done the fronts were both 1.5 degrees within a tenth of a degree (what I`d asked for) mk2 as well but setting them up should be the same job.

11. highdensityno1 New Member

So let me get this right 'cos i'm gonna book it in again (another 50 quid).
    To get the most stable feel possible on the current setup I need them to set it up with -1.25 camber and zero toe.
    And even if they cant set it spot on the wheels need to be within 0.5 of each other.

As an extra question while everyone is being helpful (Cheeky i know) Is it possible to make the ride more comfortable without going for fully adjustables?
    It only seems to matter when i hit the bumps in the road caused by road works covered up badly.
    They're everywhere!!!!!!!!!!!

12. Golden Forum Junkie

Answer to first question, Yes and there's no reason why they shouldn't be able to get boths sides exactly the same.

Question 2, whole nother thread..........

13. AndrewF Forum Addict

the vw tolerance is 0.2 degs, so it shoulodn't be over that...but you really want them the same. one deg camber will prob be enough, you go too far and you'll wear the inside edge of the tyre, but the harder you drive the more you can get away with.