Cracked Turbo

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by corradophil, Mar 26, 2004.

1. corradophil Forum Member

I'm currently helping my friend re-build the head on his Seat Leon Cupra 1.8T. AUQ engine code.
    It started making a rattling noise whilst driving along the M3, the AA were called and had to deliver it home.
    After a trip to the Seat dealers who pulled the head off the following was found;
    A self tapping screw!! in one of the cylinders, and marks from it in 3 cylinders!! One of the lambda sensors had it's wires cut with no cable left for repair, the exhaust manifold has a small crack on the flange where it joins the turbo running from one of the bolt holes to the bore of the manifold, this would not cause a leak to atmosphere, also there is a corresponding crack on the turbo flange.
    Does anyone have experience of this?
    Is it common, apparantly it is and is perfectly servicable.
    Any comments would be greatfully received.

Cheers
    Phil

2. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

A self-tapper in the engine? No, it's not common, nor is it desirable.....
    The cracked manifold isn't nice either, but it does happen and isn't terminal. If you ask at your local welding supplies shop they'll probably know of a "proper" welder who can repair it for cheap - cast CAN be welded up, if the guy knows what he's doing. But the o2 sensor wires being cut is pretty suspicious. That means it'll have been running in "limp-home" mode the whole time........

3. trendy tramp Forum Member

a bit like you then Parz ;) :lol: :lol:

tt

4. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

That's a bit rich, coming from a piss-stained yet fashionable itinerant....... :lol:

5. madmk4 Forum Member

I heard a self tapper slightly wedged in a piston at the right angle is good for compression, an actually make your engine 20% more responsive.

Something I read on vortex somewhere....

6. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Really? I'm going to go and throw a handful down the bores of mine, then. I mean, more has to be better, doesn't it? Would wood screws do?

7. VR6T

VR6T Forum Member

Along the sand in the inlet manifold to do a bit a porting at the same time... ;)

8. corradophil Forum Member

No wood screws won't work.
    All valves & seats are fine, the head is re-built, the manifold is currently at a precision welding company, who will hopefully fix it, if so only the turbo to check and maybe have welded.