Crank Seals..

Discussion in '16-valve' started by KeithMac, Dec 28, 2022.

1. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Hello all, slowly fettling the 16v KR before it goes back in.

I have fitted a crank seal/ plate part number 028 103 171 B (Febi 37745).

The number on ETKA was 068103171F.

Various sites list my new one as compatible with old one.

They are different, the new one does away with the block gasket and has a built-in seal, also the bottom is slightly different (where it mates to sump gasket).

Just wondering if anyone else has had experience with fitting the later seal?. Just a bit dubious as to whether it will seal at the sump ok.

I have used Suzuki Three Bond Black as belt and braces.

Old seal..

20221228_154452.jpg

New seal..

20221228_153009.jpg

2. davidut5 Forum Member

I have seen those on the later with aluminum sump.
    But you can still get just the seal, to fit on your flange, febi pn 1090. Its the spring type seal not ptfe like later ones, so if your crank has a big worn groove, ptfe is much better.

KeithMac likes this.
  3. KeithMac Forum Junkie

To be fair the crank looked OK but if I'm going to have issues with it leaking at the sump I might reseal my original cover.

4. watercooled Forum Member

Certainly locks like an alloy sump unit,I didn't know how differant the sump setup was between my old (dead) KR and my 1998 ABF donor motor until I had the old KR out.
    The crank running surface was pretty bad on the ABF,some monkey had installed the seal carrier all out of wack and just wound up the bolts to force it on,the end result was the seal was no longer concentric to the crank and resulted in a bad (uneven ) wear groove .
    Surprised me how it wasn't leaking but pretty sure it was due to,my mate @ SKF found me an exact fit seal with a 3mm different offset on the seal lip so a major issue sorted .
    If you aren't happy with the fitment of the seal carrier with your tin sump just buy the seal and fit it to the KR one carrier,IMO not a job you want to do twice,cheers.

KeithMac likes this.