Crap idle/rough set off

Discussion in '8-valve' started by DubLass, Aug 31, 2008.

1. DubLass Forum Member

I have just bought a 1.3 Mk2 Jetta which has a lumpy idle, when i start it it feels like its about to stall, on idle it vibrates a bit, then when i set off i have to rev a lot so it doesnt stall. How can i improve this?

Should i just go straight to buying a Weber carb?!

2. pigbladder Forum Addict

webers really do improve the running/starting if the pooburg is past its best

maybe have a look at the rubber carb mount..see if its leaking air

3. ev nutter Forum Member

Timing,emisions that why you can then check for leaks if its way too high from the norm

carb cleaner sprayed round the inlet with the cover on will show of any air being drawn in showing raised revs if there are splits

4. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Personally, I'd go for squirting carb cleaner all over the top surface, and down the barrels of the carb. It's good stuff, but don't get it in your eyes!

5. DubLass Forum Member

Thanks for the advice, im not sure how to do that but will start with the carb cleaner. Its embarassing when your in a queue of traffic and it stalls all the time. I think its a mixture of having a really stiff accelerator and a crappy pooberg that make it not want to set off!