Crappy FK Konigsport Coilovers.

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by damogti, May 3, 2006.

1. damogti Forum Junkie

Know someone with a set of FK rear clusters and they have filled with water after only about 18 months use. :thumbd: Thats not the sort of life span i expect from an aftermarket part, esp when its something like a light.

2. WEZ

Wez Official Friday thread starter

been waiting for this, i remeber when people weren't sure about buying them as they were relatively new on the scene over here, no problems at first so everyone bought them 'cos they're cheap, now we know why [:^(]

3. damogti Forum Junkie

[8(] [8(] [8(]

I was one of those people [xx(]

4. loadsavalves

loadsavalves Forum Member

damo you can get adjuster rings and spanners from demon thieves. My FK konigsports are brilliant, the only problem is the slight corrosion. Where I applied loads of wax spray they're like new and have been on the car for about 3 1/2 years.

5. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

you get what you pay for.... and without proper anti corrosion coating on original installation they will seaize solid.
    My Bilsteins did on my original PSS9's. plated units which rusted solid in only 3 months. Replacement warranty units looked identical so were covered in a wax spray on assembly. They were fine and adjusted some 3 years on ok.

Running KW's now so no such corrosion worries form their stainless bodies.

6. G-Man Forum Junkie

Sorry to go off topic-but will my car fail its MOT if they find that there's a slight rub on the inside arch on full lock? What is defined as 'wheels making contact with bodywork'? Is that just on normal road height or testing it with the steering locks on?

7. martyn_16v Forum Junkie

They should move the wheels from lock to lock to check for any interference, so if it contacts when it's sat still with just the driver sat in it then you have a problem.

The only issue I have come MOT time with ride height is finding a place that can get my car on and off the ramps, loads of places refuse to try it. Needs a lift that is set into the ground so it's level with the floor when it's down not too many of them about round my way :(

8. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Damo, just warm the adjusting collar up with the a blow torch, it doesn't take much to loosen it, as I say be careful as it's alloy and easy to melt :lol:

http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60755&highlight=gvk+fk

C spanners don't need to be well made as they should'nt need a load of greif on them to adjust the collars as the collars should'nt be seized in the first place.

If I were in the position to buy another set of 500 coil overs I'd go for Gaz.

Last edited: May 7, 2006
  9. Vento Jim Forum Member

My FK rear lights got water in them almost immediately and are now growing green stuff inside! [xx(]

He he, whoops! Not really on the topic of coilovers. Sorry![:$] [:D]

Last edited: May 7, 2006
  10. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

you're Gaz [8-}]

11. Phil

Phil Forum Member

I'd be taking the Inserts out of the coilovers if you can get them out. You don't want to be heating the rings up and then melting your seals in the process. They need a uniform heat all around the adjusters too. :)

12. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

That's what I did, but I was replacing the inserts at the same time, you don't need to apply that much heat to free off these nuts tbh, they only need a warming to expand them slightly.

Catch 22 really, you probably will need to turn the platforms to take off some preload from the spring to remove the top spring collar to strip out the insert, but if they're seized....

13. damogti Forum Junkie

I had the front ones off last week to replace the top mounts, thats when i noticed that they were both seized up.....

TBH, i think i'll try the blowtorch route when i get some time.... will need to get new spanners though and maybe new adjustment rings.... [:|]

Whats the best way to stop this from happening again?? Just coat them with copper slip or something or is there a better way?

cheers :)

14. Phil

Phil Forum Member

Yes mate - plenty of copaslip on them. :) That molybdenum grease is good gear too.......

15. loadsavalves

loadsavalves Forum Member

damo a place called frost restoration do a spray wax for under body protection, that would be good stuff. Just search in google for frost automotive

16. damogti Forum Junkie

Cheers guys [:D]

Ive used Frosts before so i'll see if i still have a catologue.

17. philip walker Forum Member

Waxoil and Denso tape (plumbers bodge tape) works fine for me..............

18. Phil

Phil Forum Member

Denso - Never thought of that. That would be excellent, providing it doesn't get all caught up in the springs. :)

19. Meon_Valley_Dub Forum Member

Had some FK fitted on my car when I bought it and I really don't rate them or the ride. I will be swapping them for springs and shocks when funds allowed if i can get them off.

20. damogti Forum Junkie

What dont you like about them?