Creaking front springs

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Joehough, Apr 8, 2019.

1. Joehough

Joehough Paid Member Paid Member

My front springs creak awfully when turning the steering. It is since I changed from coilovers to standard set up (using all new parts). I wonder
    a) have I got all the right bits, the top mounts sit straight on top of the castle nut (is this correct as vortex mention a spacer)
    b) due to lack of suitable spanners I used a impact gun to tighten the top nut, could this have mullered the bearings, if likely what new top mounts would folks recommend?

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

any help? sounds liek you've put it together wrong if by castle nut you mean the weird one with slot on top, as that goes on AFTER the top mount:
    frontsusp.jpg

3. Joehough

Sorry my bad I have got them assembled correctly, just got explanation wrong above. I have ordered some g60 top mounts (meyle) so will chuck them in and see if it cures it. The mounts were the only parts carried over from old coilovers set up, and I don't know what make they are. Also I think I may have muller ed them with impact gun. Everything else is brand new parts.

4. Joehough

Sorted now, the impact wrench had actually pulled the bearing up into the mount making 8 lock solid with 7, so when turning the steering the spring was scraping around the bottom of 8. No more horrible creaking.

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

good stuff :)